+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Operating system

Senior Member R K Rao is on a distinguished road

Default Operating system

Hi ,

I have dual operating system (windows98 and windowsXP) installed on my PC. I wish to have Linux OS on the third partition. Can I do so? If I can, can I boot from Linux without causing any problem to windows and window based programs/ data?

Also, I have an external harddisk. Can I load Linux on the external HDD instead of fixed one and use whenever I want?

Thanks to all

RKR

Member ram

Default Three operating systems in personal computer

It's quite possible to have three operating systems in computer. Assuming you could set up three OS in PC, I have shared with you the following link by which you understand the inner workings of the multi-boot process.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/

Having multiple operating systems in a single hard disk with multiple partitions as above would prompt you to choose one of the operating systems by configuring boot.ini file.

On the other hand having external drive to have a separate OS is also possible, but it's nothing but using different hard disks for different OS. You have to just choose one of the hard disks from the initial boot itself, to launch a OS of your choice.

Thumbs down

Mr. Ram

Thank you very much. I will proceed further.

RKR

Administrator Suresh has disabled reputation Suresh's Avatar

Default Run Linux from a USB drive

As Mr.Ram says it is perfectly possible to have multiple OSs either in the same physical drive or on multiple drives.

But since you say want to install linux, there is a third and much easier option available. You could have Linux on your USB pen drive and boot your system from it. Of course, your system should be able to boot from a USB drive. If your computer is relatively new, it most probably will have the capability.

Here is the link where you can find portable linux: http://www.pendrivelinux.com\

Hope this helps.

Hi Mr. Suresh,

Thank you for the guidance. I shall check my pc and proceed further. Thanks to both of you.

RKR

+ Reply to Thread