+ Reply to Thread

Thread: verification of Service Book every year

Member venkatcustoms is on a distinguished road

Exclamation verification of Service Book every year

Dear members,

I am writing this only to enlighten all officers about the necessity of verifying their service Book periodically.

I am in Customs & C.Ex. Dept. One Superintendent in our Dept. had gone on deputation to CBI in 1993 and repatriated to our Dept in 2004. At the time of his joining CBI, the pay scale of Inspectors of our Dept was 1640 while CBI Inspectors' was 2000. But when he was repatriated in 2004, the pay scale was the same for both cadres ie 6500.

So, what the admn people did was to fix the same pay he was drawing in CBI at the time of repatriation.

But rules say, that when an officer returns from deputation, his pay should be calculated as if he was continuing in the parent Dept, and pay refixed accordingly. If this rule was followed, the officer's pay (in the present case) would be an increment less than the pay fixed.

But this defect was not noticed until recently in April, 2009 when the officer was to retire on 30th April, 2009.

Yes, when the papers were sent to PAO for finalization of pension, gratuity etc., the PAO returned the papers with instruction to refix the pay and send revised figures.

Because of delay in refixing the pay, the officer could not get even a single penny on the day of retirement. (Since last pay drawn is the basic element for calculating the benefits).

Had the Administrative officer been enriched with the knowledge of admn rules, he would have noticed the problem and would have taken necessary steps in 2004 itself.

And the most important thing to notice here is that the papers relating to retirement are to be sent to PAO at least six months in advance from the date of retirement. However, the papers in the present case were sent to PAO in March, 2009 while the date of retirement was in April, 2009.

The above story has enlightened me about the following points:

1. Don't expect that Admn people are always strong in adopting Rules properly

2. As far as possible enlighten yourself about the latest rules/changes in rules in Establishment/Admn.

3. Use the opportunity of verifying your Service Book every year to bring notice to the Dept of the discrepancy, if any, in the entries made.

4. For the retiring employees, it is the look-out of the retiring officer to see that the papers relating to retirement are to be sent to PAO within the six months and also to follow up the same.

Hope Jitendrajee would enlighten more on this subject.
    Last edited by venkatcustoms; 27-07-2009 at 05:51 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Senior Member jitendraacr is on a distinguished road

Dear friends
    The issue raised here is very important and must be seen by other members. This is definitely very important to verify your service book every year which is also mandatory on the part of employer as per CCS(Pension) Rules. Normally employees when called for service book verification, only interested in viewing their leave account/LTC etc. which is only a part of this entire exercise. One should know that Service Book is to be seen keeping in view all the important events of one's career and care should be taken so that incident quoted by Shri Venkatam may not repeat. In case of difficulties, help of dealing clerk may be taken. Fortunately in our department, a detailed circular regading verification of Service Book is issued which clarifies what are the points should be checked in Service Book. It includes entries regarding appointment, promotion, and pay fixations admittance by account person, service verification every year, age relaxation(if any) etc.
    As regards pensionary papers etc, exercise should be initiated atleast six months before the date of retirement and it is responsibilty of every individual to ensure it.
    For all other service matters, it will be good if all of us purchase Swamys Handbook for references etc. This handbook contains all important service matters useful for us.
    with best wishes
    Jitendra
    Last edited by jitendraacr; 27-07-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Member coolgoose2 is on a distinguished road

Hi all

What Jitendraji says is absolutely correct. Every employee has to be take time off and verify our service book every year. However do all of us know what to verify?

Many departments have started giving copies of all pages of Service Book to the respective employees. The Cochin Special Economic Zone, under the Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce and Industry has undertaken one such exercise two years back. If all the departments do like that, it will be really beneficial to the employees who dont have to scribble in a dingy admn room and believe the dealing clerk.

regards

Senior Member jitendraacr is on a distinguished road

Dear friend
    What Shri Cgoose has written is available in rules. Any employee who want copy of his service book may obtain it after payment of requisite fees but this available after retirement only, as I know. That does not serve much purpose, if there is any change in rules regarding it, it should be welcomed.
    Jitendra

Member venkatcustoms is on a distinguished road

Exclamation verification of service book

Quote Originally Posted by jitendraacr View Post
    Dear friend
    What Shri Cgoose has written is available in rules. Any employee who want copy of his service book may obtain it after payment of requisite fees but this available after retirement only, as I know. That does not serve much purpose, if there is any change in rules regarding it, it should be welcomed.
    Jitendra
    Dear Jitendraji,

As per the rules made in 2005, copy of service book is to be supplied to each and every serving employee. In 2005, it was instructed that for existing employees, the exercise was to be completed in 6 months and for any employee, at the time of opening service book a copy is to be opened and handed over to the employee. Please refer to rule 257 of GFR.

Member rakeshmehra30 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by venkatcustoms View Post
    Dear Jitendraji,

As per the rules made in 2005, copy of service book is to be supplied to each and every serving employee. In 2005, it was instructed that for existing employees, the exercise was to be completed in 6 months and for any employee, at the time of opening service book a copy is to be opened and handed over to the employee. Please refer to rule 257 of GFR.
    A very good topic is being raised by mr venkat and good suggestions have been given by others, i would also like to add that it is very necessary to verify service book every year, other wise the employee can suffer as iama suffering , i resigned in oct08 and still waiting for my dues and still not clear abt what are dues i would be getting whan i contacted the PAY AND ACCOUNT OFFICE they says their is some enteries missing in service book and the service book will be sent to the department after detailed study and whan it will be retiurned from the department after making entries then i could receive my dues.
    but i would like to ask the senior members what to due if the department does show the service book and says that due to staff shotage it is not updated as in my case even my leave was not updated till i resigned , you plz advice so that other should not suffer.

rakesh mehra

+ Reply to Thread