+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reservation

Senior Member R K Rao is on a distinguished road

Default Reservation

Dear Friends,

A vacancy in Group III (C) post is available for Direct Recruitment. The reservation point is UR (unreserved).

Myself and my colleague have a difference of opinion with regard to age concession applicable to SC/ST/OBC candidates.

My contention is - candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC are to be given age concession, even if they apply to the post along with general candidates (but not other relaxation like reduced passing percentage etc).

However, my colleague is of the opinion that, since it is a UR vacancy and the said candidates (SC/ST/OBC) are applying as general candidates, no age relaxation is to be given to them and the age clause as applicable to general candidates (unreserved) are also applicable to the SC/ST/OBC. I am not convinced.

Kindly clarify which interpretation is correct.

Regards

RKR

Senior Member soodeep is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by R K Rao View Post
    Dear Friends,

A vacancy in Group III (C) post is available for Direct Recruitment. The reservation point is UR (unreserved).

Myself and my colleague have a difference of opinion with regard to age concession applicable to SC/ST/OBC candidates.

My contention is - candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC are to be given age concession, even if they apply to the post along with general candidates (but not other relaxation like reduced passing percentage etc).

However, my colleague is of the opinion that, since it is a UR vacancy and the said candidates (SC/ST/OBC) are applying as general candidates, no age relaxation is to be given to them and the age clause as applicable to general candidates (unreserved) are also applicable to the SC/ST/OBC. I am not convinced.

Kindly clarify which interpretation is correct.

Regards

RKR
    A candidate who is belonging to SC/ST/OBC category, is selected on the same standard as applied to general category candidates and appears in the merit list as general candidate should be adjusted against unreserved point of the reservation roster and not to be adjusted against reserved vacancies (DOPT OM No. 36011/1/98-Estt.(Res.) dated 01-07-1998).

soodeep
    Last edited by soodeep; 13-05-2015 at 06:41 PM.

Mr Soodeep,

Thank you for your kind reply. But I am rephrasing my doubt - Suppose I am above the age limit specified for general category candidates but belong to SC/ST category and my age is within the extended standards (5 years), Can I apply against an unreserved post?

RK Rao

Senior Member soodeep is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by R K Rao View Post
    Mr Soodeep,

Thank you for your kind reply. But I am rephrasing my doubt - Suppose I am above the age limit specified for general category candidates but belong to SC/ST category and my age is within the extended standards (5 years), Can I apply against an unreserved post?

RK Rao
    DoPT O.M. No. 36011/1/98- Estt(Res.) dated 1.7.1968 clarified that only such SC/ST/OBC candidates who are selected on the same standard as applied to general candidates shall not be adjusted against reserved vacancies. The OM further clarified that when a relaxed standard is applied in selecting an SC/ST/OBC candidate, for example in the age-limit, the SC/ST/OBC candidates are to be counted against reserved vacancies and only such SC/ST/OBC candidates would be able to compete for unreserved vacancies who are within the age limit prescribed for general category candidates. I didn't have any current circular on this matter.

soodeep

The clarification is sufficient. Thank you, Mr. Soodeep.

RKR

Senior Member Victor is on a distinguished road

In view of OM dated 1.7.1998 referred to by Soodeep available at (http://ccis.nic.in/WriteReadData/Cir..._Estt(Res).pdf) SC/ST/OBC candidates cannot be given age relaxation for selection against unreserved posts.

Victor

Thank you very much, Mr. Victor.

Rgds

RKR

Senior Member Victor is on a distinguished road

Credit goes to Soodeep.

Victor

Yes, of course.
    My thanks to both of you.
    Regards