+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Verification of Character and antecedents after five years

Junior Member Pratibha Gupta is on a distinguished road

Default Verification of Character and antecedents after five years

I was appointed as Sr. Clerk in 1994 in my office at Chandigarh. At that time character and antecedents were verified by two gazetted Officers and my office had not verified my character and antecedents from Police. In 2010, I was selected as Accounts Officer for Lucknow in open selection. Due to internal candidate my office had not conducted police verification as I was already employee of office from 16 years. I was on probation of one year and my probation was extended for one year i.e. up to 23.06.12. In 2012 our head office was changed from Chandigarh to Gorakhpur. My probation was held up due to inquiry against me. That inquiry has been completed in Dec, 2014 and I was found innocent in that. Now after 5 year, my office is asking for Police Verification report for clearing the probation. As I am residing from approx. 5 years in Lucknow, I had submitted my particulars of residence for last 5 years. That report has been received and Nothing is found against me. Now they are objecting that Police verification should be for the last 5 years of my joining i.e. before 24.06.2010. As I was residing in a rented house in Chandigarh and nobody knows me there now. Is this action of my office is correct or not. As per my view that is not my fault that my previous office has not conducted police verification at the time of my joining. I want to convey that I had submitted copy of passport issued after one month from my joining.
    Kindly tell me what should I do ?
    Last edited by Pratibha Gupta; 20-05-2015 at 05:34 PM.

Senior Member soodeep is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Pratibha Gupta View Post
    I was appointed as Sr. Clerk in 1994 in my office at Chandigarh. At that time character and antecedents were verified by two gazetted Officers and my office had not verified my character and antecedents from Police. In 2010, I was selected as Accounts Officer for Lucknow in open selection. Due to internal candidate my office had not conducted police verification as I was already employee of office from 16 years. I was on probation of one year and my probation was extended for one year i.e. up to 23.06.12. In 2012 our head office was changed from Chandigarh to Gorakhpur. My probation was held up due to inquiry against me. That inquiry has been completed in Dec, 2014 and I was found innocent in that. Now after 5 year, our Director is asking for Police Verification report for clearing the probation. As I am residing from approx. 5 years in Lucknow, I had submitted my particulars of residence for last 5 years. That report has been received and Nothing is found against me. Now they are objecting that Police verification should be for the last 5 years of my joining i.e. before 24.06.2010. As I was residing in a rented house in Chandigarh and nobody knows me there now. Is this action of our Director is correct or not. As per my view that is not my fault that my previous office has not conducted police verification at the time of my joining. I want to convey that I had submitted copy of passport issued after one month from my joining.
    Kindly tell me what should I do ?
    I want to know/share two/three facts:
    a) After joining in 1994, your old office has nothing to do with Police Verification Report (PVR) in 2010. You have said that your headquarter was changed from Chandigarh to Gorakhpur. So, the concerned Director of your new office may ask for police verification report for the last 5 years. The condition of appointment may have the clause of submitting police verification report for the last 5 years (obviously before joining), in your case it is before 24.06.2010. As your probation period was extended, for whatever reason may be, the Police Verification Report may be required to completion of probation period, if condition of appointment asks so. Change of headquarters was only policy decision of the department concerned and this has nothing to do with PVR.
    b) Generally, police verification report have to be submitted by the concerned police station. They generally check whether any complaint lodged against your name (like criminal offenders, act of pilferage etc.) (don't take otherwise, I'm just quoting the fact). If not, they submit a statement direct to your office or through you (by calling you to the Police Station and asking some questions, etc.). This has nothing to do with your rented house stay or etc.

The Senior Member may enlighten the issue.
    Last edited by soodeep; 04-03-2015 at 08:00 PM.

Senior Member Gopal Krishan is on a distinguished road

As mentioned by Shri Soodeep if conditions of appointment/probation provides for such an inquiry that has to be conducted.
    Gopal Krishan

+ Reply to Thread