+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Medical benefits abroad

Junior Member vvenkateswarrao is on a distinguished road

Default Medical benefits abroad

Now a days many of the serving as well as pensioners have their children working abroad. As parents, they visit their children or some of them may also go for tourism. In some countries like USA, there is no coverage for medical emergencies and hence the pensioners have to purchase Medical Insurance. Some times, even this will not take care of the expenses the pensioners and it will be huge toll on the pensioners' finances.
    Of late, Government has permitted medical expense reimbursement for serving employees for treatments abroad. So, why not the same benefit be extended to pensioners when they suddenly fell ill abroad?. This can be through CGHS for the CGHS beneficiaries and through some other means for non CGHS beneficiaries.

Member Imayan is on a distinguished road

What are the provisions for serving employees?
    Please give reference to the rule / letter .

This I read as a news item. We have to search G connect for the circular when issued.

Quote Originally Posted by Imayan View Post
    What are the provisions for serving employees?
    Please give reference to the rule / letter .

Junior Member jarunan is on a distinguished road

Default Medical benifits abroad

Quote Originally Posted by vvenkateswarrao View Post
    Now a days many of the serving as well as pensioners have their children working abroad. As parents, they visit their children or some of them may also go for tourism. In some countries like USA, there is no coverage for medical emergencies and hence the pensioners have to purchase Medical Insurance. Some times, even this will not take care of the expenses the pensioners and it will be huge toll on the pensioners' finances.
    Of late, Government has permitted medical expense reimbursement for serving employees for treatments abroad. So, why not the same benefit be extended to pensioners when they suddenly fell ill abroad?. This can be through CGHS for the CGHS beneficiaries and through some other means for non CGHS beneficiaries.
    For the serving employees on official duty the medical expenses may be covered. But for those who visit their children on vacation or for the pensioners who visit their children, this may not be applicable. However my questions would be:
    (i) will the affluent children not take care of their parents?
    (ii) is it ethical to burden the government with such claims when the basic medical expenses are not covered for the employees / pensioners or the facilities are not available in India in most of the places including Class A cities?

Senior Member Victor is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by jarunan View Post
    For the serving employees on official duty the medical expenses may be covered. But for those who visit their children on vacation or for the pensioners who visit their children, this may not be applicable. However my questions would be:
    (ii) is it ethical to burden the government with such claims when the basic medical expenses are not covered for the employees / pensioners or the facilities are not available in India in most of the places including Class A cities?
    I agree. A balance has to be made between employee/pensioner interest and public interest.

Victor

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I agree. A balance has to be made between employee/pensioner interest and public interest.

Victor
    What my friend said is ideal. But we are seeing public funds distributed for various unproductive schemes which neither benefit the targeted nor the country. Also, for a sincere employee who does not bother for taking bribes etc, his post retirement life will be a hell with rising costs and shooting inflation. The present Payband system has almost grouped various grades of employees with very meager pension difference. Many serving employees are not thinking about this but employees who retired in VI CPC time will feel the pinch post VIICPC fixations. The present scheme announced by the Government aims at giving foreign medical treatment even if the serving Government employee falls ill in Indian soil. So cannot this benefit be extended to pensioners who spend 30 to 35 years or more of their life in Government Service?

Quote Originally Posted by jarunan View Post
    Dear Friend
    Now a days who are taking care of their parents? If such is the argument why we are giving medical benefits to pensioners in India? Can't their children take care of them?
    The system of medical benefit for pensioners aims at protecting the pensioner's self esteem by making them not dependent on their children for treatment of their illness. Also, the medical expenses have spiraled into huge sums in India itself, courtesy the so called corporate hospitals, which will eat away the pensioner's life savings even in India if he is hospitalized for a week. His children will also become paupers and deprived of their savings. Please note that no medical insurance in India covers <60years old personnel.
    Medical expenses abroad will be phenomenal and no child can afford treatment even if he is very affluent.
    Why not we pursue the Government to provide medical facilities to serving employees and pensioners alike in all places within India?

Junior Member sankarshantha is on a distinguished road

7cpc must include med benefits to retired employees also irrespective of their stay abroad or India.

+ Reply to Thread