+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Protocol - Flag Hoisting

Senior Member sudacgwb

Thumbs down Protocol - Flag Hoisting

I wanted esteemed commentators of this Board to respond to my following doubts:

1. What is the protocol requirement in case of flag hoisting in govt offices on Republic Day / Independence Day on the following points:

a) who should hoist the flag?

I. Is it compulsory the hoisting is done by the Head of Office (a) if on duty and in HQ, (b) if on duty and present at the site of hoisting

II. If HOO and controlling officer is not the senior most officer of the dept in the office

III. If someone senior to the controlling officer/HOO/Seniormost officer of the office is also present on official duty at the site of hoisting

IV. If there are more than one HOOs in the Govt. building housing more than one (govt of India) office and there is one flag hoisting in the premises

V. Does the HOO/Controlling officer has the discretion to ask someone junior to him to hoist the flag even if he is physically present, hale and fit to hoist the flag

VI. If answer to the point V is in the affirmative, can he ask someone on the rolls of the office and who is not the next in line of seniority to hoist the flag?

What constitutes the breaking the protocol?

s.sudarshana
    Last edited by sudacgwb; 31-01-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Senior Member narayanan is on a distinguished road

Dear Sudarshanaji,

As per the Flag Code of India, no protocol is specified with regard to person who has to hoist the National flag in a govt. offices. However, in my view, it is the duty of the head of the office as well as the others to ensure the flag is hoisted with all dignity on the Independence day/Republic day. National flag will get highest dignity when the head of the office himself hoist the flag.

In the case of hoisting flag together by different offices situated in the same building, a protocol system is required to be formulated to enable the National flag gets highest dignity on its hoisting.

The seniority/status should not be an obstacle for giving due respect to the National Flag The protocol maintained for other purpose should not be mixed with this ceremony.

The above views only personal.

With regards,

Narayanan.

Senior Member sudacgwb

Angry

Dear Sri Narayananji,

Thank you for your opinion and I too concur with it. What made me to make this thread is that an HOO of an office asked somebody much junior to him to hoist the flag even though he himself was present and there were others who were senior (in rank and grade) to the one who actually hoisted the flag!

I thought that was avoidable. There was also a comment from someone the HOO/controlling officer can even ask a Group D official to hoist the flag as it is his discretionary power to decide, which I didn't concur.

All through my 33 plus years of service, always I found the HOO or CO or the seniormost present at the time of flag hoisting ceremony used to unfurl the national flag. In fact, earlier days it used to be compulsory to be present for the ceremony when the officials on duty and in HQ. Now the attendance itself is very poor to poor. It is very sad, indeed.

with regards

ss

Senior Member prasannakumar is on a distinguished road

Default National Flag

Sirs,
    We see our national flags on govt. supreme/high courts, vehicles of ministers/some govt. officers etc. Is there any specific dimension (size) of flags to be used on buildings, vehicles and the ones used on different occasions.

Our Independence is round the corner. "Happy Independence day to all G-connectors and its viewers in advance"

"BHARATH MATHA KI JAI"

Regards and best wishes
    Prasanna Kumar

Member coolgoose2 is on a distinguished road

Hi

There is a very detailed instructions on hoisting/display/use of our National Flag. Please go through this site

http://mahapolice.gov.in/mahapolice/...e_of_india.pdf

Jai Hind

regards

Senior Member ramanrao60 is on a distinguished road

tried the link
    page not found is displayed
    next?

Member coolgoose2 is on a distinguished road

aree yaar,

Just give a google search "Flage Code of India 2002"...

for the lazy-hearts, try these links:

http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/flagcodeofindia.pdf

http://india.gov.in/knowindia/national_flag.php

Jai Hind.

Senior Member prasannakumar is on a distinguished road

Default FLAG code

Dear Mr. Coolgoose2,

Thank you very much for providing such a great information. Expecting such guidances in ensuing days also. Keep up the good work.

Thanks and regards
    Prasanna Kumar
    Last edited by prasannakumar; 12-08-2010 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Editing

Junior Member ankitsud36 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by prasannakumar View Post
    Sirs,
    We see our national flags on govt. supreme/high courts, vehicles of ministers/some govt. officers etc. Is there any specific dimension (size) of flags to be used on buildings, vehicles and the ones used on different occasions.

Our Independence is round the corner. "Happy Independence day to all G-connectors and its viewers in advance"

"BHARATH MATHA KI JAI"

Regards and best wishes
    Prasanna Kumar
    dimensions for national flag ( length is to breadth) are 2 :3

regards

-Ankit Sud

+ Reply to Thread