+ Reply to Thread

Thread: License Fee

Senior Member narayanan is on a distinguished road

Default License Fee

Dear friends,

Though the subject 'license fee' is not a fit item under this head, I could not find another heading for the purpose.

The issue is :

It is a case related to one of my friend.

He is an employee eligible for Type II quarter on the basis of his pay. There was only six quarters available for the employees of his office which happened to be Type IV (1) and Type III(5). No Type II quarters. When three Type III quarters where vacant he applied for a quarter and he was alloted one Type III quarter out of the vacant quarters. However, three times licence fee was charged from him. It appears that charging three times of licence fee is not a reasonable one. He strongly feel that there is some orders to the effect that extra charging is not required in such situation.

If anyone can help him, please give the details.

With regards,

Narayanan.

Senior Member badri mannargudi is on a distinguished road

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by narayanan View Post
    Dear friends,

Though the subject 'license fee' is not a fit item under this head, I could not find another heading for the purpose.

The issue is :

It is a case related to one of my friend.

He is an employee eligible for Type II quarter on the basis of his pay. There was only six quarters available for the employees of his office which happened to be Type IV (1) and Type III(5). No Type II quarters. When three Type III quarters where vacant he applied for a quarter and he was alloted one Type III quarter out of the vacant quarters. However, three times licence fee was charged from him. It appears that charging three times of licence fee is not a reasonable one. He strongly feel that there is some orders to the effect that extra charging is not required in such situation.

If anyone can help him, please give the details.

With regards,

Narayanan.
    Dear shri Narayanan,
    Since HRA is an allowance and has been covered under the Subject Alloted, by virtue of having a nexus with HRA, you have chosen the correct Topic.
    It is a pity that Rules are Rigid. But, if a Rule requires that a thing should be done in a particular manner that particular thing should be done only in that particular manner and not in any other manner. Unfortunately, GIO (5) has stipulated that "if a GS is allotted quarters of a type higher than his entitlement "on his own request" (emphasis suppled), three times the flat rate of license fee or full standaard licence fee under FR 45A, which ever is higher will be charged.
    By implication, it appears there may be a situation where there would be Quarters lying vacant and there won't be any takers or there won't be any eligible GSes. In such a scenario, the competent Authority (with powers to allot) may offer the Quarters (in order to ensure optimum rate of Occupancy to those like the officer whose case is under study herein. In such eventuality, the GS concerned has an arguable case against charging 3 times.
    If your friend has not made any request for allotment of quarters of Higher Type, he can make a representation.
    With regards,
    Badri

Senior Member narayanan is on a distinguished road

Dear Badriji,

I think the action proposed by you is practical one. I am going to tell my friend to make a representation at the earliest.

With reagrds,

Narayanan

Senior Member sudacgwb

Dear BDji,

Thank you for your comments and giving all relevant rules in this regard.

Govt should consider, laying some rules of varying the licence fee (i) whenever the govt employee is allotted one below entitled Type of quarters, (ii) when the employee is alloted hostel accommodation (1/2 room/s).

ss

Member mrajeev is on a distinguished road

In the present case, by the wording he "APPLIED FOR ONE", if the officer has applied for Type II accommodation and eventually, allotted a Type III by the controlling authority, he should pay only normal L/Fee of the Type III quarter. But if he had requested for allotment of a Type III accommodation, or if he had agreed on paper at the time of processing the application, he will have to bear what he is paying now. While I was on deputation to a department which had a particular Pool of Accommodation, even though I was entitled for Type II only, they allotted me Type III accommodation to optimise the utilisation level in that (and due to non-availability of Type II), I was charged only normal L/Fee for Type III.

+ Reply to Thread