A lady in our office who is a widow with two married children wants to adopt her grandchild (from her daughter). She has even got an adoption deed registered in the registrar office. Now she has applied for registration of her adopted child in the service books for claiming benefits while in service and then after retirement. Please explain the implications of such an act. Is registration in registrar office enough or she must approach a court for permission to adopt. Subsequently she will be entitled to 2 years child care leave, CEA, LTC for her child. Is it within the rules. Someone please clarify with legal position.