+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strike Notice given by Confederation

Member coolgoose2 is on a distinguished road

Default Strike Notice given by Confederation

Hi all

You might have noticed the Indefinite strike notice given by Confederation of Central Government Employees with effect from 20th January onwards.

http://confederationhq.blogspot.com/...ular-no24.html

However, considering the results meted out to our brethren in public sector oil companies, do you really feel any positive results being achieved out of this 'exercise' at this time ? That also considering the fact that majority of Central Government employees have received hike beyond their expectations (the problem is only when one start comparing the hike others have got).

regards

Senior Member sundarar is on a distinguished road

Default Charter of Demands by Confederation

Dear Sirs,

I could see that there is no one to take care of the outgoing employees as pensioners on retirement. Similarly, there is no one to take care of the family of employees who die while in service. However,
    I may not be competent to offer any comments on the strike notice. One thing is certain. Unless we improve and increase the national productivity, we cannot hope for increasing the fruits out of it. There should be one common agenda for both Govt. as well as its citizens, whether the citizen is an employee, retiree, unemployed, etc. to see that our Nation's Economy reaches height. Unless we guarantee dedicated, sincere and devotional and loyal contribution as an individual in the interests of the Nation, and particularly amidst the problem of terrorism, unemployment, excess population, insufficient infrastructure, low agricultural yield, we cannot improve the percapita income of our Nation.

In my view, we have to return back with full vigour on Agriculture for which linkage of all rivers is the first and foremost priority on war footing.
    Unless we improve food production, explore water resources, increased power availability, we can never dream for a happy survival. Nation must come first before individual. Let us take the example of the China where the whole nation changed the direction of River to avoid overflooding and wastage of water in sea. We should act like an Army in exploring water and food resources and that is the need of the hour. Not only the employees of Central/State Government, the entire citizens shall put their combined efforts in solving the crucial problem of the current and future generation.

WATER! WATER! WATER!
    ELECTRICITY ELECTRICITY ELECTRICITY
    LAND LAND LAND
    LOVE LOVE LOVE

My views above are not having any reference to the Strike Notice or the charter of demand, which is reproduced for information purpose only. My views are the outcome of my fears of tomorrow.
    SHRI KRISHNA CHARANAM MAMAA
    Best Regards
    Sundarar.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charter of demand

Part I. 6th CPC related issues

1. Grant Rs 10000 as minimum wage as per 15 ILC Norms.

2. Grant minimum fitment benefit of 2.625 times of pre-revised basic pay to bring about uniform rise of 40% in emoluments and raise grade pay to 50% of the maximum of the pre-revised scales in respect of PB 1,2 & 3 as has been done in the case of PB 4.

3. No abolition of Gr.D. Posts and functions. Lift ban on recruitment, fill up all vacant posts and scrap screening Committee.

4. Grant 10% of pay+ Grade pay as minimum benefit on promotion or financial up gradation.

5. Fix the date of effect of all allowances as 1.1.2006.

6. No performance related pay or bonus scheme

7. Revise the Transport and daily allowances as demanded by the staff side JCM National Council.

8. Remove the condition of 6 months for applying the uniform date of Ist July as increment dates.

9 . ACP to be on hierarchical system obtaining in each department.

10. Retain and improve CGHS and make insurance scheme optional

11. Implement flexitime working hours for women/disabled employees as recommended by the 6 CPC and remove clause (iv) of OM No.13019/2/2008-Estt.(L) dated 18th Nov. 2008 on Child Care Leave.

12. Direct all the Departmental Heads to settle 6th CPC related department specific demands/problems within a stipulated time

13. Grant civil servant status and Pension to 'Gramin Dak-Sevaks.'

14. No reduction in the commutation value and restoration of full pension after 12 years.

15. Compute the pension entitlement on the basis of notional pay as on 1.1.1996

Part II

Demands pending settlement for long in the National Council JCM

1. No outsourcing or contractorisation of Govt. functions.

2. Grant statutory defined pension scheme to the employees recruited after 1.1.2004 and withdraw the PFRDA Bill from Parliament.

3. Implement the Board of Arbitration Awards.

4.Remove the arbitrary 5% ceiling and 3 years condition on compassionate appointment and withdraw court cases and absorb all waitlisted RRR candidates.

5. Implement the revision of bonus ceiling @ 3500/- in the case of all personnel employed by the Government including casual/contingent and daily rated workers and Grameen Dak Sewaks. Replace adhoc bonus with the PLB and remove the 60 days ceiling.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Member RSundaram is on a distinguished road

Default A Futile Exercise

My dear Coolgoose2
    Yes! It is futile exercise. Not only because the pay hike after the VI Pay Commission recommendations has been reasonably good, sensible employees at Gr C & D level would be more keen on settling the anomalies and new relativities than creating fresh issues. Politically the government is also in its last lap. The Left parties are busy in finalising alliances. I have observed over decades many union leaders go on a high ego trip and organise ill timed strikes and mass protests leading to dissipation of unity and energy. It appears that the strike is sponsored primarily by Postal Employees. But Postal Employees provide a very essential service particularly for the poor and aged. It is one of those departments which has informally taken care of its employees' progeny finding ways of recruiting them despite reservations and so on. . In my opinion they should demand elevating their status equal to that of Railway Employees where for all practical purposes they are their own masters except in the matter of pay bands and grade pay.
    We need civil service reforms which recognises the uniqueness of each service instead of cutting down every employee other than the All India Services to their size.

Dear Sunderarji...

I fully agree with you in all your points. But my view is whether success can be achieved in present national scenario.

Nation is recovering from a tragedy in Mumbai;
    Elections to Lok Sabha is going to occupy the minds of political heads;
    Even corporate houses have surrendered to the Babus after the Satyam fiasco;
    Govt has recently found out policy of whipping public sentiment against any official/bureaucratic obstruction as seen in the case of Oil Company offcials;
    Even the Truck Transporters have seem to have bitten the bullet.

Even though Strike against employers cannot be equated as a battle, the following words by Sun Tzu, written 2500 years ago holds still true:

The good fighters of old first put
    themselves beyond the possibility of defeat, and then
    waited for an opportunity of defeating the enemy.

To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our
    own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy
    is provided by the enemy himself.

Thus the good fighter is able to secure himself against defeat,
    but cannot make certain of defeating the enemy.

Should we go to a fight, which we know, is lost or wait for an opportune moment.....

regards

Senior Member sundarar is on a distinguished road

Default Priority Issues

Dear Shri Coolgoose2

I preferred to detach myself from offering any views or comments on the proposed strike call notice of Confederation.
    I just downloaded the charter of demand and reproduced only for information purpose. By having a look at the charter of demand, it appears that these are for demand sake only. I tried to emphasise in my message that there are many national issues which has a bearing on current and future generations. The circumstances of date do not call for strike notice and that too indefinite one. This is the time to show increased performance and thereby increased productivity. I wished that priority issues are also there to sit and think over rather than the `demands' for which strike notice has been given. Many of the serving employees are anxious to know whether the remaining 60% of revised pay arrears will be paid by the present Govt. or next Govt. because specific date of payment has not been given. Many of the Pensioners have been analysing what should be the next step to bring complete parity among pensioners. As such, the charter of demands reproduced me is to just show that there is no word about pensioners' plea which our pensioners forum has been discussing all along. As Shri VN had rightly pointed out earlier that `today's serving employees are tomorrow's pensioners', the discrepancies of related O.M.s and the required complete parity among pensioners, have not been reflected in the charter of demand, at least for the demand sake. That is the only concern of myself, and as such, I myself belong to PSE and I am fully agreeable with yourself and Shri R.Sundaram on your respective views on the subject.

With regards,

Sundarar.

Junior Member manikam_n

Default strike notice

This is not the appropriate time for the indefinite strike both for the employees and for the nation. Moreso the present government is departing government.

Senior Member vnatarajan is on a distinguished road

Dear Shri RS/ Mr Coolgoose2/Mr Sundaar/ Mankam/ all.

I agree with the majority opinion that this may not be the appropriate and opportune time to go on an indefinite strike to indulge in any major form of protest as pointed out in earlier notings and reasoned well.

Terrorism forms - direct/ indirect- within/ outisde- by enemies/ by friends of the nation-on security or economy of the country are all the burning issues.

Main agenda as you are aware of the parties in power will be the impending Lok Sabha elections and the Strike appears to have been charted out keeping this in view. Govt.???

No harm in striking when the IRON is hot- or making HAY while the sun shines -not bad. But unfortunately, as Shri RS has pointed out things are not so bad for the employees as of now- though sections do have a grouse- here & there.

Moreover, the Govt. shd be given enough time to take stock of the aftermath of the 6CPC- before planning for a major fight which may lead to major confrontation. Anomalies require time. Other items may also need some review after 6CPC outcome.

IF THE CONFEDERATION WANTS TO MAKE ITS PRESENCE FELT/ ONE ITEM TO BE SUCCESSFUL- I THINK THEY SHD TAKE UP THE PARITY CASE OF OLD/NEEDY/SUPPORTLESS PENSIONERS & FAMILY PENSIONERS OF ALL CATEGORIES FROM S4 to S30 (AFTER THE 6CPC IMPLEMENTATION FIASCO ON PENSIONS) AND IF THE GOVT. DOES NOT HEAR THE CONFEDERATION, ALL SUCH PENSIONERS WILL REFUSE TO UNDERSTAND THE SPELLING AND MEANING OF THE WORD ELECTION OR GOVERNANCE Etc.

vnatarajan

(PS: This does not mean I am not voicing any opinion on other items).
    Last edited by vnatarajan; 13-01-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Senior Member badri mannargudi is on a distinguished road

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by vnatarajan View Post
    Dear Shri RS/ Mr Coolgoose2/Mr Sundaar/ Mankam/ all.

I agree with the majority opinion that this may not be the appropriate and opportune time to go on an indefinite strike to indulge in any major form of protest as pointed out in earlier notings and reasoned well.

Terrorism forms - direct/ indirect- within/ outisde- by enemies/ by friends of the nation-on security or economy of the country are all the burning issues.

Main agenda as you are aware of the parties in power will be the impending Lok Sabha elections and the Strike appears to have been charted out keeping this in view. Govt.???

No harm in striking when the IRON is hot- or making HAY while the sun shines -not bad. But unfortunately, as Shri RS has pointed out things are not so bad for the employees as of now- though sections do have a grouse- here & there.

Moreover, the Govt. shd be given enough time to take stock of the aftermath of the 6CPC- before planning for a major fight which may lead to major confrontation. Anomalies require time. Other items may also need some review after 6CPC outcome.

IF THE CONFEDERATION WANTS TO MAKE ITS PRESENCE FELT/ ONE ITEM TO BE SUCCESSFUL- I THINK THEY SHD TAKE UP THE PARITY CASE OF OLD/NEEDY/SUPPORTLESS PENSIONERS & FAMILY PENSIONERS OF ALL CATEGORIES FROM S4 to S30 (AFTER THE 6CPC IMPLEMENTATION FIASCO ON PENSIONS) AND IF THE GOVT. DOES NOT HEAR THE CONFEDERATION, ALL SUCH PENSIONERS WILL REFUSE TO UNDERSTAND THE SPELLING AND MEANING OF THE WORD ELECTION OR GOVERNANCE Etc.

vnatarajan

(PS: This does not mean I am not voicing any opinion on other items).
    Dear Friends,

Certainly, this is not the right time to resort to strike. At the outset, the grievances have been conveyed by the confederation and sufficient time should be given for the government to study. I am not sure, but I have a feeling, a strong feeling at that, that Unions and Associations are doing a Lip Service.
    As for the plight of Pensioners as regards Parity, yes, the Confederation should express their solidarity with the Pensioners Fora if the former is serious in its claims that it stands for the welfare of Govt Servants. Why should a serving officer forget that he/she too, would retire and similar sitution may stare at him or her, as the case may be.
    If the leaders do not realise that Strike should be the last weapon and all other avenues are to be explored and tried first, then, the weapon may lose its sheen.
    In olden days, even a talk of "threat of Calling for Explanation" served as a deterrant, but now a days, even when charge sheet is issued the G.S remains unruffled.
    With due respect to those who favour Strike Call, I would appeal to the Government Servants in general to ask friends (who may have retired by this time) from Income Tax Department as to how the Strike Disability affected the Promotion Prospects of many of them. What I tell is a stark fact.
    With regards,
    Badri
    Last edited by badri mannargudi; 16-01-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: a preposition has been inserted at appropriate place

Hi all

Better sense prevailed over our confederation leaders. They have deferred the indefinite strike declared with effect from 20th Jan 2009.

http://confederationhq.blogspot.com/...d-1512009.html

regards

Last edited by coolgoose2; 16-01-2009 at 02:15 PM.

+ Reply to Thread