+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dependency condition for parents

Junior Member cgem is on a distinguished road

Default Dependency condition for parents

My mother is a state govt. pensioner. My father retired from a private company service. Can I show my father as my dependent since the rule says that any member of family with income less than 3500 + DR is dependent?

Some people in office said that since my mother is a state govt pensioner, my father is only dependent on her and not on me. They are telling that husband and wife is one unit for dependency condition, which i think is applicable only for the concerned govt. employee and not for the parents.

Please throw some light on this issue, by citing relevant rules.

Senior Member Victor is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by cgem View Post
    My mother is a state govt. pensioner. My father retired from a private company service. Can I show my father as my dependent since the rule says that any member of family with income less than 3500 + DR is dependent?

Some people in office said that since my mother is a state govt pensioner, my father is only dependent on her and not on me. They are telling that husband and wife is one unit for dependency condition, which i think is applicable only for the concerned govt. employee and not for the parents.

Please throw some light on this issue, by citing relevant rules.
    I agree with your office that the parents would be treated as a single unit for dependency critereon.

For eg in LTC cases refer to para 2 & 3 regarding definition of a family (http://ccis.nic.in/WriteReadData/Cir...8-Estt.(A).pdf).

The term "Parents" is used as a single unit and not as two separate individuals.

Similarly in Pension Rules the condition for availing of Family Pension in the case of "parents" is that "...They also will have to produce an annual certificate to the effect that their earning is not more than Rs. --------- per month...".

Keeping the above in view your father would be treated as dependant on your mother.

Victor

Junior Member cgem is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot, Victor, for your reply. Is it the same for Medical benefits also?

+ Reply to Thread