+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Special pay as sports incentive - need for revision

Senior Member badri mannargudi is on a distinguished road

Question Special pay as sports incentive - need for revision

Most of the members of this august forum may not be aware of the subject. For starters, till recently there was a system of granting incentive by way of allowing Special Pay to Central Govt Employees who excel in events of sports and games of national/international importance.

For instance, when i was in the then existing scale 1200-30-1440-30-1800 in the year 1988) I was a member of the team that won Gold Medal in AOCSSM(All India Civil Services Sports Meet). Tournament in the game of Chess at Ahmedabad. In the case of Team event Gold Medalists and in the case of invidual events, Gold, Silver and Bronz Medalists were eligible for spl pay equal to one increment in the pay scale when the excellence took place.
    Accordingly I was granted Rs.30 per month. This was revised to Rs.100 when the increment for the same scale was raised to 100 in the corresponding pay scale of 4000 -100 - 6000.(Even though by this time, I had technically resigned and joined present department as Inspector in 1992). This increment of 100 also requires to be increased on the lines incentive for adopting Small Famiy Norms.(Family Planning Allowance, as it is called now) from 175 to 400 (corresponding to GP of 4200.). This thread is started ion order to find whether there are any companions for me in this forum!

Senior Member Kanaujiaml is on a distinguished road

My dear Badrimannargudi. I came accross this thread and topic only today. As far as I know, these days such type of incentives you were talking about, are not given. Though Persons who excell in a particular sport activity, are given appointment in the organisation. They are allowed flexible duty hours and given time off to participate in sports activities on daily basis locally or even out of their headquarter. If they further excell and achieve top national or internation award or medal, they are given promotion or higher jump, depending upon the degree of achievement. This is mostly the case with Govt. Departments. As far as private sector is concerned, corporates these days appoint "ambassadors" even from sports activities. These ambassadors have to promote the corporate concened's bussiness and their appointment is on contract and for limited period. They are paid handsome amount till they fetch bussiness. A particular sport like cricket, which is becoming popular day by day, gets further boasting but sport like hockey or football, which are declining, are not given any chance, because sports person representing these games, are not popular and are not able to fetch bussines and money to Corporates. Govt.'s contribution for promotion of not very popular games is too little and mostly too late.

Senior Member badri mannargudi is on a distinguished road

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaujiaml View Post
    My dear Badrimannargudi. I came accross this thread and topic only today. As far as I know, these days such type of incentives you were talking about, are not given. Though Persons who excell in a particular sport activity, are given appointment in the organisation. They are allowed flexible duty hours and given time off to participate in sports activities on daily basis locally or even out of their headquarter. If they further excell and achieve top national or internation award or medal, they are given promotion or higher jump, depending upon the degree of achievement. This is mostly the case with Govt. Departments. As far as private sector is concerned, corporates these days appoint "ambassadors" even from sports activities. These ambassadors have to promote the corporate concened's bussiness and their appointment is on contract and for limited period. They are paid handsome amount till they fetch bussiness. A particular sport like cricket, which is becoming popular day by day, gets further boasting but sport like hockey or football, which are declining, are not given any chance, because sports person representing these games, are not popular and are not able to fetch bussines and money to Corporates. Govt.'s contribution for promotion of not very popular games is too little and mostly too late.
    Dear friends,
    I thank Shri Knjee for showing interest and throwing light on the subject.
    It may kindly be appreciated that I continue to receive personal pay of Rs.100. If the system of granting increments on the subject has been abolished, in the absence of decision with retrospective effect, the past cases can and should be enhanced. For instance, the personal pay of 100 ( equal to one increment ) pertained to erstwhile pay of scale of 4000( pre 2006 scale). One increment [3% of {(4000 * 1.86) + 2400)}= works out to 295, (rounded off to Rs.300).
    I am sure there may be several officers who may be getting even the maximum number of 3 increments. I hope some friend shall throw more light on the subject.
    I once again thank my learned friend, Shri knjee for the interest he evinced on th subject under review.
    With regards,
    Badri

Junior Member r k thakur is on a distinguished road

Arrow sports increment

Quote Originally Posted by badri mannargudi View Post
    Dear friends,
    I thank Shri Knjee for showing interest and throwing light on the subject.
    It may kindly be appreciated that I continue to receive personal pay of Rs.100. If the system of granting increments on the subject has been abolished, in the absence of decision with retrospective effect, the past cases can and should be enhanced. For instance, the personal pay of 100 ( equal to one increment ) pertained to erstwhile pay of scale of 4000( pre 2006 scale). One increment [3% of {(4000 * 1.86) + 2400)}= works out to 295, (rounded off to Rs.300).
    I am sure there may be several officers who may be getting even the maximum number of 3 increments. I hope some friend shall throw more light on the subject.
    I once again thank my learned friend, Shri knjee for the interest he evinced on th subject under review.
    With regards,
    Badri
    Dear
    Maximum increment limit is 5 in entire career instead of 3.The matter of new scheme is under consideration relevant order is as under:-
    No.6/2/2008-Pay-1
    Government of India
    Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
    Department of Personnel& Training
    New Delhi$ August, 2008.
    Subject:- Incentive increments to sportspersons for outstanding sports achievements National and International levels.
    Reference is invited to para 3(iv) of this Departments' OM No.16/l/85-Pay-1
    dated 16th July, 1985 vide which it was provided to grant incentive in the form of increments to such Government servants who achieve excellence in the sporting events of NationallInternational importance. It was also provided therein that the total number of increments to be awarded in achieving excellence in the National events should be laid downat a scale lower than for achieving excellence in international events and also that the totalnumber of increments to be awarded to an individual should not exceed five in hislher entire career.
    2. Taking into account the changing scenario and rising global competitiveness in
    the field of sports, the question of honoring such sportspersons of excellence who win a medal (Gold, Silver or Bronze) in NationallInternational Tournaments has been considered. It has been decided to review the existing provision of the OM referred to above in so far as incentives is concerned.
    3. The present system of grant of incentive which is in the form of increments, is
    proposed to be replaced by a scheme of grant of lump-sum incentive. All the
    MinistrieslDepartments are, therefore, requested to give their considered views as regards the
    quantum of lump-sum incentive to be granted to such sportsperson who win a Gold, Silver
    or Bronze medal in the NationallInternational Tournaments. It would be appropriate if the incentive for achieving excellence at International Tournaments is fixed at a scale higher than that for excellence at National Tournaments.
    4. All the MinistrieslDepartments are requested to forward their Views to the
    undersigned before 1.10.2008.
    ~Director(Pay)
    Tele: 23094637
    Email: [email protected]
    To
    I. Mlo Sports & Youth Affairs.
    2. CCSCSB, Department of Personnel& Training,
    3. All MinistrieslDepartments as per standard list.
    with regards,
    Thakur Rakesh Kumar

+ Reply to Thread