+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to view big amounts say 15 digits or more in excel, i cant view them properly

Junior Member subodhpednekar is on a distinguished road

Default How to view big amounts say 15 digits or more in excel, i cant view them properly

someone pl. tell me as to how i can view big amounts say of 15 digits or more in excel

Senior Member Victor is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by subodhpednekar View Post
    someone pl. tell me as to how i can view big amounts say of 15 digits or more in excel
    Select Format Cells by right clicking on the cell and then select "Number" under Category Tab.

Victor

Senior Member RKPATHAK is an unknown quantity at this point

Increase the cell to rquired length

Senior Member R K Rao is on a distinguished road

"...Or simply keep the cursor at the alphabet of the cell (where number is entered) and its next cell (for e.g. "E" and "F" if number is in "E") and when the cursor type changes to "+" sign and then DOUBLE CLICK it."

Default thanks for ur reply victor BUT my query has not been solved yet

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Select Format Cells by right clicking on the cell and then select "Number" under Category Tab.

Victor
    victor pl. try entering 16 digit figure (or more) in excel u'll find that after 15th digit the pc automatically converts further digits into '0'. pl. give some other solution.

Quote Originally Posted by R K Rao View Post
    "...Or simply keep the cursor at the alphabet of the cell (where number is entered) and its next cell (for e.g. "E" and "F" if number is in "E") and when the cursor type changes to "+" sign and then DOUBLE CLICK it."
    thanks for ur reply victor BUT my query has not been solved yet

pl. try entering 16 digit figure (or more) in excel u'll find that after 15th digit the pc automatically converts further digits into '0'. pl. give some other solution.

thanks for ur reply BUT my query has not been solved yet

pl. try entering 16 digit figure (or more) in excel u'll find that after 15th digit the pc automatically converts further digits into '0'. pl. give some other solution.

Quote Originally Posted by subodhpednekar View Post
    thanks for ur reply victor BUT my query has not been solved yet

Dear Mr. Pednekar,

Like Mr. Victor suggested earlier, I entered a number longer than 16 digits, went to the format cells and there selected "NUMBER" option. The cell immediately displayed the number I had entered.

I have print screened the same and furnished herebelow for your information :

Mr Pednekar, I tried several times by cut and paste method to bring the excel sheet or the print screen sheet to insert here but I could not insert them. Therefore, I copied only the cells and the above is the outcome.

May be, one of our seniors will let us know how to insert a worksheet/ word file here or the printscreen picture.

You too try and enter the number and select NUMBER as format. Let us know. If you succeed , thank Mr. Victor, since it is his idea.

Also, let me know which version of MS Office you are using.

Rgds

RK

Default pl. enter 16 digit figure or more except '0' in excel & see

Thanks for ur reply. Now pl. enter 16 digit figure or more except '0' in excel & then u'll find that the pc automatically converts other figures to '0'. i m using excel version 2003. pl. reply.

Smile

Mr Subodh,
    You are right. After 15 digits, the excel converts the other numbers to '0'. I have tried different formats to no avail. I am in Office-10. I shall also try in office-2003 (tomorrow-where I can access 2003) and get back to you.

Meanwhile, I suggest that we post your query in the 'Computerhope.com' forum, meant exclusively for computer related matters. I will be posting this there after exiting from here. In a day or two, if I get any fruitful reply/ solution, I shall post it here.

Bye, till then. (Thank you for bringing an interesting puzzle).

RK

Senior Member Victor is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by R K Rao View Post
    Mr Subodh,
    You are right. After 15 digits, the excel converts the other numbers to '0'. I have tried different formats to no avail. I am in Office-10. I shall also try in office-2003 (tomorrow-where I can access 2003) and get back to you.

Meanwhile, I suggest that we post your query in the 'Computerhope.com' forum, meant exclusively for computer related matters. I will be posting this there after exiting from here. In a day or two, if I get any fruitful reply/ solution, I shall post it here.

Bye, till then. (Thank you for bringing an interesting puzzle).

RK
    Excel can only handle up to 15 significant figures as a line has to be drawn somewhere in the mathematics to be handled by the software. If no calculation is required on a number having more than 15 digits and only needs to be displayed then the same can be done by formatting the cell as text. Or you can pre-fix the number with an apostrophe.

Victor

Yes. You are right.

But for large scientific calculations involving distances between planets etc.?
    But then, may be there are other software to handle such things.

RK

Mr Subhodh, Already Mr. Victor has clarified the reason above. However, as stated by me, I am posting herewith, the reply I received from computerhope for your information:

"Like most computer apps (COBOL is an exception), Excel uses the IEEE convention for storing decimal numbers as binary numbers. This results in a limitation on the number of digits that can be stored - 15. But are you working with genuine numbers? Things like ISBN, telephone, etc numbers are not really numbers in the sense that we never perform arithmetic on them. In this case you have two workarounds: a) before entering the value format the cell as text OR b) preface the value with single quote (apostrophe) - this will neither display nor print (visible only in the formula bar).

Below:

into A1 I typed 1234567890123456789012345
    into A2 I typed '1234567890123456789012345"

RK

Default thanks for info BUT WHAT ABOUT CALCULATION? IS IT POSSIBLE BY DOING SO?

Dear RK,

BUT WHAT ABOUT CALCULATION? IS IT POSSIBLE BY DOING SO? SUPPOSE I WANT TO MAKE BIG CALCULATIONS OF SAY 16 DIGIT FIGURE (OR MORE)? HOW CAN I DO THAT WITH FOR MATTING THE CELL TO TEXT OR PLACING AN APOSTROPHE BEFORE A NUMBER?

PL. REPLY

Administrator Suresh has disabled reputation Suresh's Avatar

Excel has a precision limit of 15 digits. This is as per the specifications of Excel and as far as I know there are no true workarounds for it. Of course, like Mr.Rao suggested you could convert them to text format but then you cannot perform any calculations on them.

Here is a screenshot of the Excel Specifications. You can find it in Excel help and searching for 'Specification'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	excel-max-number.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	94

Btw, asking out of curiosity, what is that you are doing that require you to deal with such large numbers. If you can tell me an example of your requirement then I can probably try to find a solution - not a real solution but something that can serve the purpose.

Senior Member ramanrao60 is on a distinguished road

it should be clear that excel is an application and any application can work within the defined parameters
    for example the largest negative number and the smallest negative number which a cell can accommodate have to be predefined and the soft ware works within these.

as far as i know,not only programs,even a p.c. with a 16 bit processor or 32 bit processor or 64 bit processor can handle a certain defined maximum figure

Mr Subhodh,

I hope your doubt would not have been clarified after reading the replies given by Mr. Ramanrao and Mr. Suresh, the administrator. The Long and short of it (pun intended) is -

YOU CAN NOT HAVE FIGURES EXCEEDING 15 DIGITS IN EXCEL FOR MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS. YOU MAY HAVE TO SEEK HIGHER OR DIFFERENT SOFTWARE FOR THAT (ANY WAY WHY DO YOU REQUIRE SUCH A LONG FIGURE? Is it for utility or just for the Sake of It?).

Regards

RK

Senior Member prasannakumar is on a distinguished road

Default number format

Sirs,
    I typed 854554447777744 first (15 digits) but the cell did not display in detail. I clicked the cell, clicked on the format menu, selected cells, number and set the decimals to "0". Then the whole thing was displayed in the cell. Then I typed 8545544477777440000000000000 (28 digits) and expanded the cell. Whatever I typed has appeared in the cell.

Please try

Thanks and regards
    Prasanna Kumar

Senior Member ramanrao60 is on a distinguished road

try to type 85455444777774401234567891234 (28 digits) instead it will display 8545544477777440000000000000 (28 digits) ie after 15 digits only zeroes will be displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by prasannakumar View Post
    Sirs,
    I typed 854554447777744 first (15 digits) but the cell did not display in detail. I clicked the cell, clicked on the format menu, selected cells, number and set the decimals to "0". Then the whole thing was displayed in the cell. Then I typed 8545544477777440000000000000 (28 digits) and expanded the cell. Whatever I typed has appeared in the cell.

Please try

Thanks and regards
    Prasanna Kumar
    Yes. Mr Ramanrao is right. No matter how many numbers you type over 15, all are converted to '0' and the reason has been explained by many seniors here i.e. the excel has its limitation in handling numerical data, for mathematical purpose.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast