+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Half Pay/DA

Senior Member R K Rao is on a distinguished road

Red face Half Pay/DA

Dear Sirs/Friends,

Generally when half-pay leave is granted, DA is given accordingly (i.e. based on half-pay). But today a person challenged stating that it is not so and that half pay leave means only PAY will be half whereas DA etc. will be for FULL pay.

I disagree with him.But he wants me to show him the rule in writing. Where can I find it?

Regards

RK

Senior Member tvenkatam is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by R K Rao View Post
    Dear Sirs/Friends,

Generally when half-pay leave is granted, DA is given accordingly (i.e. based on half-pay). But today a person challenged stating that it is not so and that half pay leave means only PAY will be half whereas DA etc. will be for FULL pay.

I disagree with him.But he wants me to show him the rule in writing. Where can I find it?

Regards

RK
    Dear Friend,

During HPL, the leave salary is drawn @ 50% of basic pay and 100% of allowances including dearness allowance.

Quote Originally Posted by tvenkatam View Post
    Dear Friend,

During HPL, the leave salary is drawn @ 50% of basic pay and 100% of allowances including dearness allowance.
    Sir,

Thank you for the prompt reply. This is actually new to me. Thank God, I will not be causing any financial hardship to the person due to my ignorance of rules.

Sir, now to convince my Admin officer (who also holds my previouis views), May I request for any reference/ OM etc. if available/you remember ?

Thanks againa and Regards

RKR

Senior Member RKPATHAK is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Shri Venkat
    Your clarification no doubt is new for me too.

Senior Member SASI is on a distinguished road

Dear sir,

During Half Pay Leave pay will be half the amount of leave salary. DA 100% means full DA for the Half pay which means the amount of DA will be half.

sasi

Senior Member Victor is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by SASI View Post
    Dear sir,

During Half Pay Leave pay will be half the amount of leave salary. DA 100% means full DA for the Half pay which means the amount of DA will be half.

sasi
    I agree with Sasi. DA is linked to Basic Pay and hence if Basic pay is half, DA will also get reduced accordingly.

Victor

Dear Friends,

Thanks for the replies. I still feel that the DA is indeed linked to Pay and therefore, as you all have suggested , it should be proportionate to pay. If any of you find the basic rule where this could be found, please let me know. Similarly, If I come across, I will intimate it here.

Regards to all

RK

Senior Member tvenkatam is on a distinguished road

Sir,

Thank you for the prompt reply. This is actually new to me. Thank God, I will not be causing any financial hardship to the person due to my ignorance of rules.

Sir, now to convince my Admin officer (who also holds my previouis views), May I request for any reference/ OM etc. if available/you remember ?

Thanks againa and Regards

RKR
    Dear Mr. RKR/RKP,

Regret to inform that the reply given by me was erroneous and please note the correction. DA at prescribed rates on half pay only will be admissible during HPL. The other allowances such as HRA (if admissible) and Transport allowance will be drawn at full rates (based on full pay).

Dear Friends,

Thanks for the replies. I still feel that the DA is indeed linked to Pay and therefore, as you all have suggested , it should be proportionate to pay. If any of you find the basic rule where this could be found, please let me know. Similarly, If I come across, I will intimate it here.

Regards to all

RK
    As per Rule 40 of CCS(Leave) Rules 1972 (http://persmin.gov.in/EmployeesCorne...eave_rules.pdf) govt servants during Half Pay Leave are entitled to half the "pay drawn" immediately before proceeding on leave.

As per OM dated 29/8/2008 (Page 1 of http://india.gov.in/govt/studies/allowances.pdf), Rate of Dearness Allowance per mensem is X% of "basic pay + NPA, wherever applicable". Para 3 of this OM defines "basic pay" as "pay DRAWN in the prescribed pay band plus the applicable grade pay...".

So during Half Pay Leave as a Govt. Servant draws half the basic pay, the DA will be based on this "half" pay. In other words, the percentage of DA applicable (at present 45%) remains the same, but as the pay DRAWN is reduced during HPL, the DA applicable will automatically get reduced.

You may also like to refer to para 4.1.1. of the 6CPC Report which is as follows:

"4.1.1 The payment of dearness allowance stems from the need to protect the erosion in the real value of basic salary on account of
    inflation.
    Consequently, the DA admissible is positively correlated to the level of inflation."

Hence, there is no question of protecting that part of basic pay which is not drawn at all.

Victor

Mr Victor,

Very illustrative and nice clarification. Thanks and Regards

RK

Junior Member grmbbsr is on a distinguished road

Question Querry

Can anybody clarify whether Half Pay Leave accounts to break in service or not?

Quote Originally Posted by grmbbsr View Post
    Can anybody clarify whether Half Pay Leave accounts to break in service or not?
    Half Pay Leave does not amount to break in service. It is only one of several types of leaves provided under the CCS(Leave) Rules, 1972. During Half Pay Leave, Basic Pay is reduced to half. Break in service can only be imposed under FR 17A subject to fulfilling of conditions indicated therein.

Victor

Member rsk11584 is on a distinguished road

Dear Victor Sir,

if out of 30 days in a month an employee has 4 days HPL. Does that mean we need to pay basic (BP & GP) for only 28 days since 4 HPL = 2 Days of Full PL.

so his
    Band Pay will be === Org Band Pay / 30 x 28
    Grade Pay will be ==== Org Grade Pay / 30 x 28
    Rest all allowances will be same. Is grade pay also reduced in HPL or only Band Pay is reduced

Basic Pay + Grade Pay + Dearness Allowance will be reduced pro-rata.

Other allowances like HRA, Transport Allowance will not be reduced.

Victor

Senior Member soodeep is on a distinguished road

A simple question.

A person is on sanctioned Extraordinary leave for 28 days in a month (afterwards). He was present for 2 days only in a month. Obviously, pro-rata band pay and Grade pay was admissible. He will get full HRA & Transport Allowance for that month. His pay was 15250 + 4800. He subscribed to GPF @ 20000. How the DDO will calculate the entitled amount for subscription to GPF (6%?). Whether DDO is free to reduce the amount of subscription applied by the incumbent? Further, whether subscription will be intact by deducting from gross salary which includes HRA & TA?

+ Reply to Thread