+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whether LTC bill settled to employee can be re-opened when the same is wrong?

Administrator gconnect has disabled reputation

Default Whether LTC bill settled to employee can be re-opened when the same is wrong?

Tapan Kumar Mitra asked

I am working as Inspector of Central Excise at Kolkata. I have travelled to Ladakh in the state of Jammu & Kashmir in June, 2006 with my family availing the benefit of LTC for the Bock Year, 2001 to 2005 ( extended to 2006 ). After returning from the tour I have submitted my claim for the LTC within stipulated time of 90 days from the date of completion of journey. Accounts Section of my office forwarded the documents to concerned P.A.O. office late. P.A.O.office raised some objection against my journey conducted by Air. I have furnished necessary clarification immediately quoting all the relevant DOPT orders in support my claim. In the mean time as there was confusion about the reimbursement of my claim and the amount was substantially large I ahve deposited Rs. 15,000.00 through T.R.6 Challan in November, 2006 to the department in ordr to avoid paiment of interest after settlement of the claim. This was done as per the suggestion of the Accounts Section of my office. The accounts section did not forward the clarification furnished by me to P.A.O. immediately and kept unattended with them for a long pariod. Later after several request from my end they frwarded the same to P.A.O. office in April, 2009 and my claim was sanctioned as per my clarification. But at the time of forwarding the revised claim for 2nd time my office has forgotten to include the information of deposit of Rs. 15,000.00 against the said claim. After sanction of the subject claim of said L.T.C. bill when I claim reurn of the said Rs. 15,000.00 which was deposited through T.R.6 Challan, P.A.O. office Klkata rejected the claim mentioning that once L.T.C. bill was settled, further claim could not be entertained against same bill. Due to mistake of my office I have lost s. 15,000.00 for which I was no way responsible. In order to get clarification in this regard whether such an amount deposited earlier against any L.T.C. bill may be reimbursed to the candidate after settlement of the respective L.T.C. Bill or not I have sent several latters to DOPT authority but did not receive any reply from them.

What is the remedy in this issue?

Senior Member tvenkatam is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by gconnect View Post
    Tapan Kumar Mitra asked

I am working as Inspector of Central Excise at Kolkata. I have travelled to Ladakh in the state of Jammu & Kashmir in June, 2006 with my family availing the benefit of LTC for the Bock Year, 2001 to 2005 ( extended to 2006 ). After returning from the tour I have submitted my claim for the LTC within stipulated time of 90 days from the date of completion of journey. Accounts Section of my office forwarded the documents to concerned P.A.O. office late. P.A.O.office raised some objection against my journey conducted by Air. I have furnished necessary clarification immediately quoting all the relevant DOPT orders in support my claim. In the mean time as there was confusion about the reimbursement of my claim and the amount was substantially large I ahve deposited Rs. 15,000.00 through T.R.6 Challan in November, 2006 to the department in ordr to avoid paiment of interest after settlement of the claim. This was done as per the suggestion of the Accounts Section of my office. The accounts section did not forward the clarification furnished by me to P.A.O. immediately and kept unattended with them for a long pariod. Later after several request from my end they frwarded the same to P.A.O. office in April, 2009 and my claim was sanctioned as per my clarification. But at the time of forwarding the revised claim for 2nd time my office has forgotten to include the information of deposit of Rs. 15,000.00 against the said claim. After sanction of the subject claim of said L.T.C. bill when I claim reurn of the said Rs. 15,000.00 which was deposited through T.R.6 Challan, P.A.O. office Klkata rejected the claim mentioning that once L.T.C. bill was settled, further claim could not be entertained against same bill. Due to mistake of my office I have lost s. 15,000.00 for which I was no way responsible. In order to get clarification in this regard whether such an amount deposited earlier against any L.T.C. bill may be reimbursed to the candidate after settlement of the respective L.T.C. Bill or not I have sent several latters to DOPT authority but did not receive any reply from them.

What is the remedy in this issue?
    Dear Friend,

The case is too old to consider for re-opening.

However, the deposit of Rs. 15000 receipted vide T.R. 6 by your department will still be available for adjustment. You may have this deposit adjusted in future bills of LTC/Tour TA.

Senior Member sinha_audit is on a distinguished road

The provision for not reopening of LTC bill once settled actually pertains to situations where events (such as pay fixation, promotion etc.) occurring at a later date but taking effect retrospectively would have borne material change (such as entitled class/mode of travel), had the bill settled AFTER the event took place.

This provision has nothing to do where a refund by the employee not being acknowledged at the time of settlement of claim. Now, it has become a case of missing credit. The employee concerned had debited the Govt A/c but no corresponding credit was awarded. The employee should be refunded the same by a supplementary bill against the claim settled. This should had been done promptly after the matter was reported.

This will not be equivalent of "re-opening" of the settled claim, since entitlement in r/t mode/class, journey length, eligibility of co-passengers etc. are not being re-evaluated which are the routine examination while admitting an LTC claim.

Hope this helped.
    Alok Sinha.

+ Reply to Thread