+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Pension for bsnl employees retired voluntarily

  1. #1
    Junior Member RADHA is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1

    Unhappy Pension for bsnl employees retired voluntarily

    Dear Pension Forumers,


    I have retired from BSNL (earstwhile Dept of Telecom) voluntarily in March 2010 with a total service of 17 years(8 years in DOT+9 years in BSNL) . I would like to know whether basic pension is fixed as Basic pay/2 X 17/33 or Basic pay/2 X 17/20 as per the revised 20 years qualifying service.
    Thanks in advance.


  2. #2
    Senior Member vnatarajan is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    1,249

    Default

    Basic pay/2 X 17/20 as per the revised 20 years qualifying service
    I feel so
    VN

  3. #3
    Senior Member tvenkatam is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    641

    Default no proportionate pension

    Dear Friends,

    In accordance with para 5.3 of O.M. No. 38/37/08-P&PW(A) dated 02.09.2008, a Government servant entitled to pension on completion of 10 years of qualifying service under Rule 49(2) of CCS (Pension) Rules 1972 shall be paid pension at 50% of the emoluments or average emoluments received during the last 10 months.

  4. #4
    Junior Member veekumarv is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7

    Default Pro-rata Pension not any more, it is Full Pension only

    Dear Radha,
    I tend to agree with Mr.tvenkatam, as the Govt. has discontinued granting reduced pension (as it used to be before by way of giving pro-rata pension) w.e.f. 1.1.2006 and Full Pension is always granted since the afore-metioned date (though it needs to be confirmed from the Department of Pension, for which I have already sent an RTI Query and am waiting for its reply). However, it is not clear when you mentioned that you have taken Voluntary Retirement, because for taking Voluntary Retirement, you need to complete 20 years of total service in Government and in your case you have only 17 years. I feel, you must have retired following Absorption in BSNL and in that case, it is called Retirement on Absorption in PSUs (and NOT Voluntary Retirement as you have mentioned). Anyway, you are entitled to Full Pension as rightly mentioned by Mr.tvenkatam.

    Regards.

    Veerendra Kumar

  5. #5
    Junior Member veekumarv is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7

    Default No more Pro-rata Pension, it is Full Pension only!!!!

    Dear Radha,

    I tend to agree with Mr. tvenkatam. You will get Full Pension and not reduced pro-rata pension as you had thought of. W.e.f. 1.1.2006, Govt. has discontinued granting of Pro-rata Pension for those having less than 33 years of service (but more than 10 years of service) as it used to be before 1.1.2006, as pointed out by Mr.tvenkatam, though this issue needs to be confirmed by DOP&PW ( I have already sent an RTI Query on this to DOP and the reply is awaited - I am also like you but having been sanctioned pro-rata pension w.e.f. 1.1.1996 following my absorption in PGCIL - I had also less than 20 years of Govt service before absorption in PGCIL).

    However, is not clear when you mentioned that you have taken Voluntary Retirement. As per the extant orders of the Central Govt, one cannot take Voluntary Retirement unless one has a minimum of 20 years of service, and in your case, you have only 17 years of service, as per what you have mentioned. I think you must have been absorbed in BSNL as I had done, and such a retirement is called Retirement following Absorption in PSUs and NOT Voluntary Retirement as you have mentioned.

    Anyway, you are entitled to get Full Pension (and NOT Reduced Proportionate [OR pro-rata] Pension as you had thought of), subject to confirmation on this by DOP & PW.

    Regards,

    Veerendra Kumar

  6. #6
    Member yenyem is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvenkatam View Post
    dear friends,

    in accordance with para 5.3 of o.m. No. 38/37/08-p&pw(a) dated 02.09.2008, a government servant entitled to pension on completion of 10 years of qualifying service under rule 49(2) of ccs (pension) rules 1972 shall be paid pension at 50% of the emoluments or average emoluments received during the last 10 months.
    dear friends,

    fixed medical allowance is increased from rs.100 t0 rs.300 for pensioners w.e.f. 01 09.2008. Some improvement.

    Yenyem

  7. #7
    Junior Member nps is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    18

    Default Full pension or Null pension!

    Quote Originally Posted by tvenkatam View Post
    Dear Friends,

    In accordance with para 5.3 of O.M. No. 38/37/08-P&PW(A) dated 02.09.2008, a Government servant entitled to pension on completion of 10 years of qualifying service under Rule 49(2) of CCS (Pension) Rules 1972 shall be paid pension at 50% of the emoluments or average emoluments received during the last 10 months.
    Dear Sir,
    My understanding is that 'full pension' is granted to,
    (i) a member retiring/superannuating with a minimum of 10 years of qualifying service, and
    (ii) a member taking voluntary retirement with a minimum of 20 years qualifying service.

    Either full pension or null pension. No more proportionate pension!

  8. #8
    Senior Member tvenkatam is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nps View Post
    Dear Sir,
    My understanding is that 'full pension' is granted to,
    (i) a member retiring/superannuating with a minimum of 10 years of qualifying service, and
    (ii) a member taking voluntary retirement with a minimum of 20 years qualifying service.

    Either full pension or null pension. No more proportionate pension!
    Dear Friend,

    I endorse your views and further clarify that those who avail voluntary retirement will no more be benefited with the weightage of service of 5 years. In cases of qualifying service falling short of 20 years (other than superannuation, invalid and compulsory retirement), there will be no monthly pension even the proportionate pension.

    Voluntary retirement with 17 years of qualifying service will only entail payment of service gratuity and no pension as per the prevailing pension rules governing the government servants.

  9. #9
    Junior Member kapoor1973 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default VRS from BSNL after 17 years of service

    If a BSNL employee (Absorbed from DoT) having combined service (Dot + BSNL) between more than 10 years but less than 20 years take voluntary Retirement under rule 37 (A) part 11 after 1-9-2008. Then:-
    Whether he will get full pension (50% of emoluments) as per your office letter no. (Pension Section) 40-18/2008-Pen(B) Dated 31-08-2009.
    Or
    If not as (a) then what pension he will get and under which rule.
    If he get pro rata then what will be the factor 33 years or 20 years and under which rule ?

  10. #10
    Junior Member kapoor1973 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default VRS from BSNL after 17 years of service

    Quote Originally Posted by tvenkatam View Post
    Dear Friend,

    I endorse your views and further clarify that those who avail voluntary retirement will no more be benefited with the weightage of service of 5 years. In cases of qualifying service falling short of 20 years (other than superannuation, invalid and compulsory retirement), there will be no monthly pension even the proportionate pension.

    Voluntary retirement with 17 years of qualifying service will only entail payment of service gratuity and no pension as per the prevailing pension rules governing the government servants.
    But in BSNL VRS is there after 10 years of service see CCS rule 37 A part 11

  11. #11
    Senior Member Victor is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RADHA View Post
    Dear Pension Forumers,


    I have retired from BSNL (earstwhile Dept of Telecom) voluntarily in March 2010 with a total service of 17 years(8 years in DOT+9 years in BSNL) . I would like to know whether basic pension is fixed as Basic pay/2 X 17/33 or Basic pay/2 X 17/20 as per the revised 20 years qualifying service.
    Thanks in advance.

    If you retire in accordance with the CCS(Pension) Rules, 1972, then you will be eligible for full pension i.e. 50% of your Last Basic Pay or 50% of your average Basic Pay of last 10 months, whichever is more beneficial.

    Victor
    (pva)

  12. #12
    Senior Member Kanaujiaml is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RADHA View Post
    Dear Pension Forumers,


    I have retired from BSNL (earstwhile Dept of Telecom) voluntarily in March 2010 with a total service of 17 years(8 years in DOT+9 years in BSNL) . I would like to know whether basic pension is fixed as Basic pay/2 X 17/33 or Basic pay/2 X 17/20 as per the revised 20 years qualifying service.
    Thanks in advance.

    I assume, full service on deputation/absorption to BSNL is counted for the purpose of qualifying service and Govt. has given option for prematured retirement. There is no VRS shceme any more and the same has been withdrawn w.e.f. 1.1.06 and advantage of added years is no more available to new retirees. In that case, your pension would be fixed at 50% of basic Pay(pay in the pay band plus grade pay) multiplied by a factor of 17/20.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Victor is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    I assume, full service on deputation/absorption to BSNL is counted for the purpose of qualifying service and Govt. has given option for prematured retirement. There is no VRS shceme any more and the same has been withdrawn w.e.f. 1.1.06 and advantage of added years is no more available to new retirees. In that case, your pension would be fixed at 50% of basic Pay(pay in the pay band plus grade pay) multiplied by a factor of 17/20.
    There is no factor of 17/20 in CCS(Pension) Rules, 1972.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Kanaujiaml is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    There is no factor of 17/20 in CCS(Pension) Rules, 1972.

    Factor 17/20 means prorata fixation of pension i. e. full pension is available now for 20 yrs qualifying service. If the service is less than 20 yrs but more than 10 yrs., say 17 yrs. than pension would be equval to 50% of sum of pay in the pay band plus grade pay. multiplied by 17 and whole divided by 20 yrs. This is all covered by new pension rules read with various OMs issued by DOP.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Victor is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kanaujiaml View Post
    Factor 17/20 means prorata fixation of pension i. e. full pension is available now for 20 yrs qualifying service. If the service is less than 20 yrs but more than 10 yrs., say 17 yrs. than pension would be equval to 50% of sum of pay in the pay band plus grade pay. multiplied by 17 and whole divided by 20 yrs. This is all covered by new pension rules read with various OMs issued by DOP.

    I would have appreciated if you could have referred to specific rules and OMs issued by GOI.

    Victor
    (pva)

  16. #16
    Senior Member prasannakumar is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Payyanur, Kerala
    Posts
    303

    Default pension

    Dear Mr. Kanaujimal,

    As Mr. Victor stated, the 17/20 factor is not noticed in the 6 CPC circulars. Can you please provide the details of the same.

    Regards
    Prasanna Kumar

  17. #17
    Senior Member vnatarajan is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    1,249

    Default

    (May be for Old Pension Rule category)

    I think some clarity is required for understanding the issue:

    1)WHAT ARE THE STIPULATIONS GOVERNING THE "10 YR" QS FOR "FULL PENSION"? WHO ARE THE INCUMBENTS ELIGIBLE FOR IT?

    (eg. PSU absorbees and the like? If so it is not open to all)

    2)SIMILARLY WHAT ARE THE STIPULATIONS GOVERNING THE "20 YR" QS FOR "FULL PENSION"? WHO ARE THE INCUMBENTS ELIGIBLE FOR IT?

    3) OTHER THAN THESE "THRESH-HOLD" LEVELS OF QS, IS THERE ANY PROVISION FOR GRANT OF PRO-RATA PENSION WHEN INCUMBENTS DO NOT HAVE SUCH LENGTHS OF "QS"?

    Obviously, there may not be any such provisions as Govt. has not "tinkered" with other "conditions" other than altering the "thresh-hold"levels of QS for full pension.

    For a Government Servant, who does not come under the "10 yr" QS category, he may have to complete a minimum of 20yrs QS for full pension. Only additional privilege is that he can hang up his towel after 20 yrs and retire "voluntarily" to enjoy full pension based on his "LAST PAY DRAWN" with all other RETIRAL BENEFITS.

    VNatarajan

  18. #18
    Senior Member Victor is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vnatarajan View Post
    (May be for Old Pension Rule category)

    I think some clarity is required for understanding the issue:

    1)WHAT ARE THE STIPULATIONS GOVERNING THE "10 YR" QS FOR "FULL PENSION"? WHO ARE THE INCUMBENTS ELIGIBLE FOR IT?

    (eg. PSU absorbees and the like? If so it is not open to all)

    2)SIMILARLY WHAT ARE THE STIPULATIONS GOVERNING THE "20 YR" QS FOR "FULL PENSION"? WHO ARE THE INCUMBENTS ELIGIBLE FOR IT?

    3) OTHER THAN THESE "THRESH-HOLD" LEVELS OF QS, IS THERE ANY PROVISION FOR GRANT OF PRO-RATA PENSION WHEN INCUMBENTS DO NOT HAVE SUCH LENGTHS OF "QS"?

    Obviously, there may not be any such provisions as Govt. has not "tinkered" with other "conditions" other than altering the "thresh-hold"levels of QS for full pension.

    For a Government Servant, who does not come under the "10 yr" QS category, he may have to complete a minimum of 20yrs QS for full pension. Only additional privilege is that he can hang up his towel after 20 yrs and retire "voluntarily" to enjoy full pension based on his "LAST PAY DRAWN" with all other RETIRAL BENEFITS.

    VNatarajan

    As you rightly said, govt. officials who join PSUs or autonomous bodies on absorption basis with minimum 10 years of qualifying service are eligible for pension. Also late entrants in service or persons re-employed could have minimum 10 years of QS on their superannuation. Such officials will also be eligible for pension if they have the minimum 10 years of QS.

    Govt. officials under Rule 48-A can opt for retirement from service after completion of 20 years of qualifying service.

    So with the recent clarifications issued after implementation of 6CPC, govt., officials retiring with minimum 10years of QS or with minimum of 20 years of QS are eligible for full pension. The clause of pro-rata pension does not exist any more w.e.f. 1.1.2006.

  19. #19
    Junior Member terrance is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5

    Default

    As pointed out, there is no pro-rata pension any more after 1-1-2006.

    Generally, all who have completed 20 years of service are eligible for full pension.

    However, a sub-group of officials, which is NOT defined completely, with 10 years of service, are ALSO eligible for FULL pension.
    Who are this sub-group ?

    The knowledgeable may please clarify !

  20. #20
    Senior Member tvenkatam is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrance View Post
    As pointed out, there is no pro-rata pension any more after 1-1-2006.

    Generally, all who have completed 20 years of service are eligible for full pension.

    However, a sub-group of officials, which is NOT defined completely, with 10 years of service, are ALSO eligible for FULL pension.
    Who are this sub-group ?

    The knowledgeable may please clarify !
    Dear Friend,

    Vide para 5.3 of O.M. No. 38/37/08-P&PW(A) dated 02.09.2008, a Government servant is entitled to pension on completion of 10 years of qualifying service under Rule 49(2) of CCS (Pension) Rules 1972 and shall be paid pension at 50% of the emoluments last drawn.

    Under Rule 49(2)(a) and 49(2)(b) all those who retire on superannuation after completing a minimum qualifying service of 10 years are covered.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-07-2010, 02:42 PM
  2. 40 % arears to KVS employees
    By Avinash in forum Arrears
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-03-2009, 05:01 PM
  3. pension of pre-2006 retired doctors
    By premy in forum Pay Fixation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15-02-2009, 11:16 AM
  4. Harrasment to the retired people from CPWD
    By junior in forum Pensioners
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-12-2008, 07:53 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-12-2008, 04:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts