+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Email-MS Outlook

Senior Member R K Rao is on a distinguished road

Default Email-MS Outlook

Hi Friends,

Generally I use rediffmail or yahoo or gmail for sending emails. But at times when I try to contact some firms like telephone company/ Gas company etc to report a defect/ problem, if I click on their 'Contact Us' tab, automatically MS outlook starts and the installation, after two / three steps asks me about some POP etc. So I had to abort the process. This has happened several times. I tried put the captured screen with the message here but I could not.

I have a broad band connection and the ADSL router automatically configures the connection. Other than that I don't know what information is required.

How should I go about it? Can any one find some time to explain to me?

Thanks to all.

RKR

Senior Member ramanrao60 is on a distinguished road

Default email

you have to configure your outlook express-using your gmail account.yahoo and free rediffmail donot support pop access.the pop id of gmail is pop.gmail.com and smtp is smtp.gmail.com.
    then you have to give your email password and click remember

for detailed instructions search pop access configuration instructions in Google for a step by step guide

outlook is very useful as you can always check downloaded mail without being on line as all mail is downloaded and saved on your hard disk

Senior Member R K Rao is on a distinguished road

Smile eMAIL-Outlook

Dear Mr. Ramanrao,

Thank you for the clear instructions. I shall go accordingly.

Rgds

RK

Junior Member purnima is on a distinguished road

I am also using gmail for sending mails. I have same problem. I consult this problem to my friends
    but they don't know how to solve. Can anyone suggest me how to solve this problem?
    Last edited by purnima; 16-03-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by purnima View Post
    I am also using gmail for sending mails. I have same problem. I consult this problem to my friends
    but they don't know how to solve. Can anyone suggest me how to solve this problem?
    pl download and use thunderbird.. if you google search u can easily find it. it auto configures easily... then declare it as your default mail client.. you will not face the problem mentioned

Junior Member purnima is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by ramanrao60 View Post
    pl download and use thunderbird.. if you google search u can easily find it. it auto configures easily... then declare it as your default mail client.. you will not face the problem mentioned
    Thank you for your information.

Administrator Suresh has disabled reputation Suresh's Avatar

Like the other users have said, you could use Outlook/Thunderbird as your email client. But if you normally don't use a client and use only the web interface for Gmail, then there is an easier option.

You can designate Gmail as your default mailto handler. This means that when you click on any hyperlinked email address, a Gmail compose window will open so you can send a message to that address from Gmail.

To do so in Windows:
    1. Download the Gmail Notifier.
    2. Right-click the Notifier icon in your system tray, and select Options.
    3. Check the box next to Use Gmail for internet mailto: links.
    4. Click OK.
    If you decide later that you don't want to use Gmail as your default email application, simply uncheck the box.

Added Benefit:
    The Gmail Notifier is an application that alerts you when you have new Gmail messages. It displays an icon in your system tray to let you know if you have unread Gmail messages, and shows you their subjects, senders and snippets, all without your having to open a web browser.

for gmail notifier to work,your browser should be google chrome.

It is not a requirement that for gmail notifier to work the browser must be Chrome. Gmail will open in whichever browser has been set as the default browser. In fact gmail notifier has been around much before Chrome was launched.
    Last edited by Suresh; 21-03-2011 at 12:36 PM.

mr suresh
    is gmail notifier and desktop notifier the same?
    because for desktop notifier it says "upgrade your browser to chrome"

@ramanrao: I am not quite sure what you are referring to when you say desktop notifier. Could you post a link to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Suresh View Post
    @ramanrao: I am not quite sure what you are referring to when you say desktop notifier. Could you post a link to it?
    here are the details (in google mail settings)

Desktop Notifications:
    (allows Gmail to display popup notifications on your desktop when new chat and email messages arrive)
    Learn moreNote: This browser does not support desktop notifications. To enable notifications, upgrade your browser to Google Chrome.

Ok..I get it. What you are talking about is an option in the Gmail settings that displays popup notifications and for which you may need to have Chrome. But Gmail Notifier, though performs a similar function, is a tiny application by itself that you install. You will find it here: Gmail Notifier.

+ Reply to Thread