PDA

View Full Version : Worry - voluntary

sundarar
10-10-2009, 10:21 AM
“WORRY IS A VOLUNTARY FORM OF SUFFERING

Satsang: Swami Sukhabodhananda in The Speaking Tree of TOI dated 8.10.2009 (Ahmedabad Edition)

WHAT IS IT TO BE A WITNESS, TO JUST BE?

The Buddha was once meditating. His mind started creating problems and distracted him from the path of enlightenment. It was as though hundreds of horses were galloping through his mind. But the monk remained a witness and did not identify with fear. His mind turned into thousands of elephants tempting him to identify with them, but again Buddha was just a witness… he saw through the mind’s game. His mind became a loving deer but still Buddha remained a witness. He did not get tempted.

Finally, his mind turned into a loving child drowning in the ocean, seeking his attention. Buddha, out of compassion, merged with his thoughts and stretched out his hands to save the drowning child. At once, the child turned into a monster and started pulling Buddha to the ocean. Buddha realized his folly and left the monster and continued being a witness. The monster turned again into a child and started pleading for help.

Buddha continued his meditation of being – not participating but being a witness. The child drowned in the ocean and emerged as an enlightened mind, reflecting Buddha’s mind. This is a play narrating Buddha’s effort towards enlightenment.

IS THE SHUNNING OF IDENTIFICATION AN IMPORTANT ASPECT OF MEDITATION?

Learn to be awitness to your thoughts and feelings. In the witnessing consciousness, there is no identification with anything. Identification leads to misery. Worry is a form of identification. Literally, worry means twisting and tearing.

Have you observed that when you worry, your moving centre gets twisted? Negative state of worry – depression or fear…. Shows up strongly in the form of twisting one’s body-moving centre.

Just be a witness and do not get identified. Relax your body, your mind and then finally just be a witness. Let not your `I’ get identified with your body and mind. This de-identification is meditation.

WHAT ABOUT EMOTIONS IN A STATE OF WORRY ?

Firstly, negative emotional states like that of worry and jealousy must be observed and recognized. Generally, we do not see them. Instead, we becom them. While a negative emotion is happening, be an onlooker. Then the emotion will be like a cloud that comes and goes.

To stop a negative emotion that comes out, create a new will through the intellectual centre. This is not suppression as you are doing it with an understanding that if negative emotion is let loose, it will create a hurt body. In turn this hurt body will take control of you.

Worry is a form of identification. It is useless. Unfortunately, many of us think it is right to worry about someone we love. Give up this voluntary form of suffering. By worrying you exhaust yourself. Your energy gets depleted.

In a depleted state, one cannot perform to the optimum level. Learn to take small steps, stop worrying. Weed out the worry as it emerges. Do not allow the other centres to support and nourish it.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN WHEN YOU SAY WE LIVE IN TWO WORLDS?

One is visible and outer while the other is invisible and inner. The outer is your body that is visible. The inner is your psychology. The object of spiritual teaching is to lead a person from unconscious being to conscious being”.

sundarar
13-11-2009, 08:57 PM
"A FISH THAT WANTS TO EXPLORE THE WORLD" - Satsang by
Swami Sukhabodhananda in `The Speaking Tree' - TOI 4.11.2009 (AHMEDABAD).
--------------------------------------------------------------
"IS SPIRITUAL PRACTICE A MUST FOR EVERYONE? You have to insulate yourself from the effects of worldly living. The environment has its strong impact. The external world is in a rat race for greed, glamour and respectability. It does not bother about real joy and purity. Naturally, external influence affects an individual. In this rat race
even if one wins one continues to be a rat. Glamour gives you an illusory joy but your soul needs to grow.

`Why does a fish in an ocean try to jump out?'
asked a Zen student.

`The fish is trying to explore a world beyond the ocean',
answered the Master.

Consciousness in each one of us is like a fish that wants to explore the unknown, to evolve and grow. If you do not insulate yourself from negative forces, there will be leakage of energies and that would hamper your growth. So it is necessary not to struggle in life and not allow negativity to control your life. One has to learn to float in life, to let go, let in the essentials and negate unessential feelings.

HOW CAN I INSULATE MYSELF FROM NEGATIVE INFLUENCES?
People live life in fear. It is out of fear that they worship; out of fear they get married; out of fear of insecurity they beget children. Whenever fear emerges, there is a leakage of energy. Fear creates a hurt body and it then tries to survive by quoting philosophy and logic.

We try to protect ourselves from fear through the influences of worldly life.... by acquiring more money and more power. But spiritually we can insulate ourselves from fear, only if we have trust.

We were secure in our mother's womb. At term when we were pushed out into the world, it was as though we were facing death. We experienced tremendous fear.

AFTER BEING BORN, IS IT DEATH OR BIRTH THAT MARKS OUR LIVES?
Trust that when one door closes, another door opens. Such trust insulates us from fear. The spiritual way of seeing is, if there is an impression or a negative impression of fear in the mind, one has to de-identify with it. This detachment or de-identification is the insulation that i am talking of. In yoga, it is called atma smaranam, self-remembrance.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE INSULATE OURSELVES FROM NEGATIVE IMPRESSIONS? Worldly influences do not touch us. Instead, we would be in touch with higher vibrations and open ourselves for higher influences. The higher centres in us are constantly communicating something profound to us, but we close ourselves to them. It is like a cup turned upside down. No rainwater can fill the cup. The moment we are available for higher vibrations, we attract nobler aspects of life. Lower states attract lower aspects of life while the higher states attract higher aspects of life. This is the law of attraction.

WHY IS DEVOTION NECESSARY?
Devotion activates our higher centres. Devotion purifies our emotions. Devotion allows the finer vibrations to flow into our lives. With devotion, your third eye or intuitive eye opens, and you would see many meaningful coincidences occuring in your life. YOU WILL SEE THE MYSTERIOUS HAND OF GOD BLESSING YOU.

www.prasannatrust.org

sundarar
23-01-2010, 08:26 PM
The Speaking Tree - TOI 21.1.2010.
Satsang: Swami Sukhabodhananda

"Why do some people carry the pain of criticism or defeat all their lives?

Rigidity is a part of identification. An important aspect of spiritual teaching is non-identification. If identification is our pattern, then we identify ourselves with everything. This identification is mechanical. One develops rigidity and fails to see other variables in life.

One get upset that his point of view is not respected. This causes pain. The hurt body creates an imaginary self as a survival tactic. Carrying the pain of differences for long is part of a mechanical mind. Unless we transform our mechanical centre into a magnetic centre, negative patterns will continue. In my workshops, I wish the participants 'Good morning'. Then I question them as to how many of them meant the morning to be good? Most of them would have said it mechanically. A mind given to `mechanicalness' hits relatively less consciousness. The more we bring in `presence' in whatever we do, the greater the chance that consciousness would give rise to a magnetic centre.

Once a magnetic centre is opened in us, we see the foolishness of carrying pain. It is like mixing bread with cement. Poeple are living miserable lives because they function mechanically. They are victims of their programming. One of my relatives who is a multimillionaire leads a poor life as he is unwilling to sell part of his property. It is against his concept of family dignity, but he lives in poverty.

Is the knowledge acquired from you enough to change my life?

There are two domains; the domain of `knowledge' and the domain of `being'. Knowledge should be applied in life to enhance one's state of being, thereby your life matures. From a matured being if you look at the same knowledge it has a deeper meaning. By applying the deeper meaning in life and in your being, your life becomes more mature and in the process, something profound happens. Hence knowledge should be applied; else you would be like a donkey carrying sandalwood.

By conscious of your body, Are you relaxed or tense? Be conscious of your emotions. Do you mechanically hate or like someone? Watch your thoughts. Become more conscious of your mind. More conceptual knowledge does not help.

How do we change our mechanical attitude to life?

It can be changed through the teachings of enlightened masters. On each occasion when we are forced to behave mechanically, bring the teachings of masters to the fore. Thrugh constant practice, a different dimension with flow of grace. The first factor is our `mechanicalness'. The second , the teachings of enlightened masters and the third is grace. Grace can come only when we apply teachings in real life situations. Then the law of grace transforms our lives.

How does grace operate?

In the constant struggle to apply great teachings in all walks of life, there will be an opening in which grace will flow. It is beyond the known structure of logic. Something mysterious happens, an illogical factor emerges and you find life to be fine and prolific. Be open to grace. Grace operates not in a wayyou want it to, but in its own way. Learn to appreciate the language of grace. God gives us what we need more than what we want".

sundarar
15-12-2010, 06:37 AM
"THE WAYS OF THE WORLD"
Satsang by Shri Swami Sukhabodhanandaji - The Speaking Tree inTimes of India Ahmedabad (14.12.2010)

"Why does God burden me alone with so much strife?

In a village a young boy was playing by the river's edge. Suddenly he heard a cry for help: `Save me, please save me!'

A crocodile was caught in a net and it cried out for help. The boy hesitated: What if the crocodile ate him up? But the crocodile pleaded with him and said, `I promiseyou that I won't devour you. Please save me!' Moved, the boy began to cut the net that had trapped the crocodile. No sooner was its head free from the net than the crocodile grabbed the boy's leg in its jaws.

Now it was the boy's turn to cry. `How unfair you are?' he shouted. The crocodile said: `What to do? Such is the way of the world. Such is life,' and continued.

The boy was not worried about dying: he couldn't accept crocodile's ingratitude. While his leg was slowly sliding into the jaws of the crocodile, the boy looked at the birds on a nearby tree and asked: `Is the crocodile uttering the truth? Is life junjust? Are not hournoured?'

The birds replied, "We take such care to build safe nests on the tops of trees to protect our eggs. Yet, snakes come and swallow them. The crocodile is right. Then the boy saw a donkey grazing on the banks of the lake and repeated his question. `When I was young, my master loaded soiled linen on my back and extracted maximum amount of work from me. Now that I am old and feeble, he has abandoned me. Such is indeed the way of the world. There is injustice and unfairness and such is life!' said the donkey.

The boy still not convinced, noticed a rabbit and repeated his question. The rabbit said, `No, no! I cannot accept what the crocodile is saying. It is utter nonsense!' Hearing this, the crocodile became angry and wanted to argue with the rabbit, even while holding the boy's leg in its strong jaws. The rabbit protested, saying that as the crocodile's mouth was choked with the by's leg, it was not able to decipher what the crocodile was trying to say. The crocodile laughed heartily at this and said, `I am not a fool! If I let go, the boy would run away!;

`Now you are really stupid' said the rabbit. `Have you forgotten how strong your tail is? Even if he runs, you can smash him with just one mighty lash of your tail!'

The crocodile feel for this and releasing the boy, continued its argument and the boy took to his heels. Only when it tried to raise its tail, did the crocodile realise that it was still entangled in the net. The crocodile glared at the rabbit. The rabbit smiled sweetly, saying `Now do you understand? Such is the way of the world? Such is life!'

In a short whle, the young boy returned with the villagers. A dog that came along spotted the rabbit and started chasing it. The boy screamed at the dog `This rabbit saved my life; don't attachk him.' Alas, before the boy could intervene, the dog had chased and killed the rabbit in a jiffy.

The distressed boy cried and said to himself, `What the crocodile said was true. Such is the way of the world Such is life!'

Unfairness is a part and parcel of life. Such is the way of life. Can we teach ourselves not to be victims of unfairness and face it with the understanding that life's mysteries cannot be fully understood?"
(Excerpt from Swamiji's book Oh, Mind Relax Please! For details visit: www.prasannatrust.org)