PDA

View Full Version : Roster

manikandan
31-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Respected Members,

What is the difference between shortfall and backlog vacancies?

How shortfall and backlog vacancies are calculated?

What is the significance of post based roster?

Anthony
03-04-2009, 04:26 AM
Dear Friend,

" Shortfall vacancies are those vacancies where there are no employees in the lower grade to be promoted to the higher grade "

Ex. There may be a 'SC' vacancy, but there may not a SC employee in the lower grade.

"Reserved vacancies which cannot be filled in a recruitment year for want of candidates belonging to the respective community are treated as “Backlog vacancies”.

" The vacancies are assessed taking into consideration of Retirements, death, VR, deputations, Cadre to Excadre, Promotion to higher grade, reversion, restoration on completion of punishment, etc"

Following judgement of the Supreme Court in R.K. Sabharwal Vs. State of Punjab and UOI Vs. J.C. Malik case, Railway Board have issued instructions regarding maintenance of rosters, which came to be known as “POST BASED ROSTERS” . This type of roster has come into effect from 10/2/1995. This has been implemented only in respect of Group ‘D’ and ‘C’ categories and for Group ‘B’ and above, post-based is being followed from 01.04.05.

The underlying principle behind introduction of post-based rosters is that the reservation for SC and ST is maintained at the prescribed level and it is not allowed to exceed or come down.

The number of points in the roster shall be equal to the number of posts in the cadre. In case there is any increase or decrease in the cadre strength, the rosters shall be expanded or contracted correspondingly.

The roster is to be operated on the principle of replacement and not as a “running account” i.e. the point that becomes vacant will be filled by candidate belonging to the respective category.

When employees belonging to SC or ST are not available to fill up the reserved vacancy, the reserved vacancy will be kept unfilled and no de-reservation of a reserved vacancy is permissible.

With regards,

Anthony

jitendraacr
03-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Dear friend
Glad to see such a detailed and self explanatory reply. Accept my good wishes. Wish your regular presence in this forum in future.
Jitendra

Anthony
04-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Dear sir,

Thanks for your comments sir. As per your advice, i will be active in this forum and i will stay in touch.

With regards,

Anthony

sundarar
06-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Respected Members,

What is the difference between shortfall and backlog vacancies?

How shortfall and backlog vacancies are calculated?

What is the significance of post based roster?

Dear Shri Manikandan,

Shri Anthony has explained for your queries very nicely and my thanks for his immediate response.

Further, I give below extracts of GOI DoPT O.M. No.36033/2/2006-Estt.(Res.) dated 25.4.2006 reg. shortfall/backlog reserved vacancies.

"The shortfall of a particular reserved category in a cadre means `the difference between the total no. of posts reserved for that category as per the post-based resevation roster for that cadre' and the `no. of persons belonging to that category who are holding the posts in that cadre'.

`The backlog reserved vacancies are those vacancies which were earmarked reserved in an earlier recruitment year, but remained unfilled in the previous recruitment attempt on account non-availability of suitable candidates belonging to that category and are still lying unfilled'.

It may please be noted that while shortfall in reservation which also includes, backlog reserved vacancies may be large, the entire shortfall is not backlog".

POST BASED ROSTERS:
(Annexure to GOI, DoPT O.M. No.36012/2/96-Estt.(Res.) dated 2.7.1997)
These rosters are only an aid to determine the entitlement of different categories with regard to the quota reserved for them. They are not to determine seniority.

The no. of points in each roster shall be equal to the no. of posts in a cadre.

The roster is to be operated on the principle of replacement and not as a `running account' as was done earlier. That is, the points at which reservation for different categories applies are fixed as per the roster and vacancies caused by retirement, etc. of persons occupying those points shall be filled by appointment of persons of the respective categories.

Whenever there is any increase or decrease in the cadre strength, the roster shall correspondingly expanded or contracted.

The persons belonging to the reserved categories, who are appointed on the basis of merit - and not on account of reservation - are not to be counted towards the quota meant for reservation.

Best Regards
Sundarar

manikandan
08-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Thank you sir, for your kind detailed reply. My humble thanks to Anthony sir also.