PDA

View Full Version : LTC Entitlement vs TA entitlement - Query

sudacgwb
24-01-2009, 09:44 PM
While passing my LTC to North East/Sikkim (to Gangtok, to be exact) the office has disallowed:

i) The taxi fare from Bagdogra to Gangtok by taxi (fare as per rates approved in Airport) with proper receipt
ii) taxi fare from Gangtok to Bagdogra (same as above)
iii) taxi fare from residence to Airport at Bangalore during 'to' and 'fro' journey.

Will someone clarify weather the act of disallowing is correct and if so, how?.
As per the latest LTC rules issued after 6 cpc, LTC entitlement is same as TA except DA (food bill) and lodging charges during the trip.

s.sudarshana

badri mannargudi
24-01-2009, 11:20 PM
While passing my LTC to North East/Sikkim (to Gangtok, to be exact) the office has disallowed:

i) The taxi fare from Bagdogra to Gangtok by taxi (fare as per rates approved in Airport) with proper receipt
ii) taxi fare from Gangtok to Bagdogra (same as above)
iii) taxi fare from residence to Airport at Bangalore during 'to' and 'fro' journey.

Will someone clarify weather the act of disallowing is correct and if so, how?.
As per the latest LTC rules issued after 6 cpc, LTC entitlement is same as TA except DA (food bill) and lodging charges during the trip.

s.sudarshana

Dear SSjee,
I would deal with serial number (iii) first, for the sake of convenience.The basic Rule has not (been) changed. Reimbursement, in the case of LTC, is restricted to Fares between Duty station and the Home Town or the Destination and back. Expenditure incurred on Local travel like Residence to Railway Station/Airport, and from Railway station/Airport to the lodge/guest house at the Destination is not included in the eligibility category. We need not read more than that in the new rules (in my view).
In respect of points (i) and (ii) , you may see the OM dated 23.09.2008 31011/4/2008-Estt(A) which says that "......the facility shall be admissible only in respect of journeys performed by governement operated vehicles ............private Airlines".
From this, it becomes clear that the Govt has not intended to reimburse travel by Taxi. Having said that, if the places are not connected by rail, then journey by the mode of Taxi should be permitted.But as for the quantum of entitlement, if State Road ways corpn runs buses between the two places mentioned by you, then the entitilement shall be restricted to such Fare as charged by such corporation. (who will furnish informnation, I do not know)
The view expressed by me herein is based on Swamy's handbook.
With regards,
Badri.

sudacgwb
25-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Dear BDji,

Thank you for a fair interpretation of rules. Though public transport is not there from the Bagdogra airport, there are govt. transport form NJP (New Jalpaiguri) to Gangtok. I will be glad if you clarify such travels are not allowed even for official tour? I mean (i) and (ii). We will be eligible for (iii).

with regards

ss

sundarar
26-01-2009, 05:38 AM
Dear Sirs,

The latest O.M. on TA Rules, may be of helpful as far as linking with LTC to remote places like Gangtok where only road transport is possible. Apart from the OM, when I went by TAXI from New Jalpaiguri to Gangtok, the journey of which took 4 hours, I did not find a single Public Transport service till Gangtok. Even if it is there, may be one or two at odd times, not connecting with arrival time at Bagdogra or New Jalpaiguri. One has to depend on taxi and when the actual journey undertook by Taxi, based on receipt the fares can be allowed. When PSEs are doing the same, why Govt. cannot allow. Otherwise, as part of developing the NE region, it should have made special arrangement to pick up tourists from the concerned stations to the hill station. Without any arrangement like Medical, transport, enforcing to provide `RTO certified public transport tickets! at the tour places is not correct. All affected Officers who proceed on LTC to NER need to represent to allow the actual claim as it is without insisting for any other documents.

The news extract appeared in staffcorner.com is reproduced below for kind information of all Members.

Modification in the Travelling Allowance - New order dated 22.01.09
Written by Administrator on January 24th, 2009 At last CG Officers working in field formations could breath easy after this new stand taken by the department on TA Rules.

As you are all aware of the modified Travelling Allowance Rules as per Office Memorandum dated 23.09.08 consequent on Sixth pay commission recommendations, which was based on reimbursement principle (i.e) Officers have to produce receipts for the amount spent on accommodation, food, transportation etc.

This principle may be fine for the officers who travel to a cities, as the charges for lodging, transportation etc could be claimed at actuals subject to a maximum ceiling.

However, Officers who had to travel on duty to remote places like villages sea shores were really put to hardship because they could not get the receipts for the amount spent by them for food as it would be meaningless to ask for serially numbered bill from a small Hotelier or “Dhabawala” in those places. Even for those who travel long distances in trains in which fare is not inclusive of food, it would be very difficult to get receipts for food from pantry car or railway platform salesmen.

Now, this hardship has been done away with by the issue of new Ofice Memorandum dated 22.01.2009, as the Govt has decided to sanction daily allowance on tour, based on earlir office memorandum dated 17.04.1998 in case the officers opted to claim slab rate based daily allowance instead of reimbursement based travelling allowance prescribed vide office memorandum dated 23.09.08.

In a nutshell, this new order provides the choice to the Officers for claiming the Travelling allowance either based on old TA rates as per the office memo dated 17.04.98 or at actuals using the bills for food etc as per the office memorandum dated 23.09.08. However, Officers can not mix up these two orders for a single tour.

Please Download memorandum from Ministry of Finance website - http://finmin.nic.in/6cpc/TARules_6cpc.pdf for further details.

Best Regards
Sundarar.

sudacgwb
26-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Dear Sundarar,

The fare / charges of the taxi/sumo from Bagdogra to Gangtok are actually approved by RTO / Govt. of Sikkim as we can see in the receipts given by them. Same is the case from Guwahati to Shillong where no body travels by public transport unless they want to get down enroute. The intention of the GOI in encouraging the people to travel to NE on LTC will be lost if this distortion is not set right.

As you have rightly pointed out, PSE / Undertakings are allowing the taxi/sumo charges subject to the cost being limited to govt. approved rates.

Govt. (dept. of expenditure) must clarify before it is too late.

Regards

ss

CGman
25-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Hello,

I would like to know the following,

My office says the NER LTC Claim amount is limited to the amount mentioned in the air-india fare table for the DATE OF BOOKING of the ticket (Not date of travel). Is it correct? if so under which order?

haringp
26-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Cgman,
There is a circular issued by Dept of expenditure dated 4th dec 08, which says after this date ( 4th dec) only LTC 80 shall be applicable.

CGman
30-06-2009, 01:53 PM
What I want to know is the rule prevailed BEFORE 4th DEC 2008 order (LTC-80),

I Repeat my querry,

My office says the NER LTC Claim amount is limited to the amount mentioned in the air-india fare table for the DATE OF BOOKING of the ticket (Not date of travel). Is it correct? if so under which order?

or in OTHER WORDS,

NER ticket booked in May 2008
Journey performed in June 2008.

Whether I am eligible for the fare shown in May 2008 fare table (issued by air-india) or June 2008 fare table. The fare difference between June and May 2008 fare table is approx. Rs. 2500 per person.

My office says I am eligible for may 2008 fare-table.

pkkanwal
28-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi everyone,

Im working in an autonomous body under the admn. control of MoF. I would like to inform you that I got my actual taxi claim from Bagdogra to Gangtok and back.
Thanks