PDA

View Full Version : Stepping up of Income tax Inspectors

shashank.pathak
03-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Hi frndz, I am working as Inspector in Income tax. The direct recruit Inspectors are drawing more pay than my pay. I have requested to step up my pay, but since there is not enough clarification on this subject my department head as sought for clarification from DOPT. If any one has some information about this pl. share. Thanks n regards.

RKPATHAK
04-07-2012, 09:01 AM
There is no provision to upgrade in this case

shashank.pathak
04-07-2012, 09:18 PM
With due respect can i expect some detailed clarification as to why the pay cannot be upgraded (stepped-up) with my junior. There is an element of direct recruitment to the post of Inspector of income tax, hence it is expected that stepping up is possible.

Victor
04-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Hi frndz, I am working as Inspector in Income tax. The direct recruit Inspectors are drawing more pay than my pay. I have requested to step up my pay, but since there is not enough clarification on this subject my department head as sought for clarification from DOPT. If any one has some information about this pl. share. Thanks n regards.

Kindly refer to CBDT Letter F. No. HRD/CM/175/4/2010-11/858 dated 02.11.2010 available at (http://www.gconnect.in/6cpc-matters/pay-of-promotee-officers-in-it-is-to-be-stepped-up.html) in this regard.

You are eligible for stepping up in case the direct recruited junior borne on the same seniority list is drawing more pay than you.

Victor

ramanrao60
05-07-2012, 07:46 AM
With due respect can i expect some detailed clarification as to why the pay cannot be upgraded (stepped-up) with my junior. There is an element of direct recruitment to the post of Inspector of income tax, hence it is expected that stepping up is possible.
The replying style of Mr R K Pathak is not helpful at all and many times its contrary to facts.
I hope he sees replies from Mr Victor and learn from that

shashank.pathak
05-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Kindly refer to CBDT Letter F. No. HRD/CM/175/4/2010-11/858 dated 02.11.2010 available at (http://www.gconnect.in/6cpc-matters/pay-of-promotee-officers-in-it-is-to-be-stepped-up.html) in this regard.

You are eligible for stepping up in case the direct recruited junior borne on the same seniority list is drawing more pay than you.

Victor

Kindly elaborate " Direct recruited junior borne on the same seniority list ". As per my knowledge, the seniority list in our department is prepared every two years. It is cadre wise. can I assume this is the seniority list which u r referring to.

Victor
06-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Kindly elaborate " Direct recruited junior borne on the same seniority list ". As per my knowledge, the seniority list in our department is prepared every two years. It is cadre wise. can I assume this is the seniority list which u r referring to.

If the name of the Direct Recruit Inspector who is junior and is drawing more pay than you appears in the same seniority list in which your name also figures, then you can claim stepping up of pay.

Victor

shashank.pathak
06-07-2012, 03:00 PM
If the name of the Direct Recruit Inspector who is junior and is drawing more pay than you appears in the same seniority list in which your name also figures, then you can claim stepping up of pay.

Victor

Apart from the letter No.858 dated 02/11/2010 is there any recent clarification.

RKPATHAK
07-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Let me quote an example. An officer was with the grade pay of Rs 5400 promoted to the grade pay of Rs 6600 after completing three years of service. His pay was fixed at Rs 18240 whereas a direct recruit in the grade pay of rs 6600 be granted the minimum basic pay of rs 18750. No benefit of upgradation was granted to a promotee in this.

soodeep
07-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Respected RKPATHAK,

I think in a different way and my point of view is just like respected VICTOR.

If a person (say Mr. A) promoted to any post carrying (say) Grade Pay 4800. His pay has been fixed at (say) 13100 +4800 on 01 July 2012.

Now, a person (Mr. B) appointed directly on 7 July 2012 (say) (not as a probationer) and he was entered in the seniority/gradation list on which Mr. A enlisted as a junior to Mr. A.

As per CCS(RP) Rules, 2008, pay of Mr. B on 07 July 2012 will be 13350+4800, and the pay of Mr. A will then be stepped to 13350+4800 on 07 July 2012 with the same DNI as Mr. B has.

Am I right? Obviously subject to following conditions as per OM No. 4/7/92-Estt.(Pay-I) dated 04.11.1993.
1. Both the junior and senior should belong to the same cadre and the post to which they have been appointed or promoted should be identical in the same cadre.

2. The scale of the Pay of the lower and higher posts in which the junior and senior are entitled to draw pay should be identical.

3. The anomaly should be directly as a result of the application of FR 22 (1) (a) (1). For example, if even in the lower post the junior official draws from time to time to a higher rate of pay then the senior by virtue of grant of advance increments or on any other accounts the above provisions will be invoked to step up the pay of the seniors.

RKPATHAK
08-07-2012, 05:52 AM
Stepping up is given to seniors in case of promotion only. A direct recruit may draw higher or less pay and in such case no stepping up is given either to a promotee or direct recruit

Victor
08-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Generally stepping up of cases arose in promotion cases only as pointed out by Shri Pathak. However, this was in pre-6CPC days where there were distinct scales at every stage of promotion. So a promotee could either draw the minimum or more of the higher scale on promotion. A direct recruit could only be fixed at the minimum of the scale and hence no stepping up would arise. In cases where a direct recruit was given advance increments on appointment and hence drawing more pay than a promotee, no stepping up was permissible as this was obviously not an anomaly.

However, post 6CPC we have a new system of pay bands and grade pays. Here a promotee gets only a 3% hike and a change in Grade Pay. No minimum of pay in the pay band is prescribed on promotion, unless there is a change in the Pay Band. However, a direct recruit has been prescribed a minimum pay in the pay band corresponding to a particular grade pay, which in certain cases is more than what a promotee gets on promotion. This gives rise to the particular anomaly in the instant case. This is due to the absence of a common minimum of pay in the pay band on promotion at par with the minimum pay ensured to direct recruits. This issue has been repeatedly highlighted by Shri Sundarar.

In the example quoted by Shri Pathak, a promotee to GP 6600 with N number years of service draws pay less than Rs. 18750 whereas a Direct Recruit gets an assured Rs. 18750 from day one. This is blatant discrimination. Why can't the pay on promotion be also assured at Rs. 18750.

The issue has also been discussed in the NAC. However, Govt. has refused to issue a standing order on this and instead preferred resolving this on a case to case basis. Big organisations like Railways, CBEC, etc., have successfully taken up this issue and have come out with general instructions on this issue applicable for their employees only.

In my view, the following solutions could be considered to permanently resolve such anomalies:

1. The pay on promotion should be fixed at least what is prescribed for a direct recruit at that particular GP.

OR

2. A standing order should be issued for grant of stepping up of pay in such cases instead of adopting a case to case approach. It would be next to impossible for all govt. offices spread through the length and breadth of the country at various levels (Ministry/Department/ Attached/Subordinate/ Statutory/etc.) to first get convinced and then approach MOF/DOPT in a reasonable time period for providing relief to the affected.

PS: Shri Soodeep - The OM dated 4.11.1993 is not applicable in such cases of anomalies.

Victor

RKPATHAK
09-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks Victor for detailed clarification. Hope it will clear doubts of many of our friends. Hope Anamoly Committee may decide in favour of promotees