PDA

View Full Version : ltc for spouses of railway employees

sandeep
08-12-2008, 11:00 AM
I am class I officer central gov and my wife is class III employee with railways.
I am not allowed LTC from my office reason being a rule that says " spouses of employee of railways & Indian airlines are not eligible for LTC."

But I am now eligible for Air travel and LTC to NE states by air where as my wife get passed of sleeper class.That way I am at loss.
How can LTC facility be provided to me. Pl let me know.

-sa

ShreekumarM
08-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Just be patient. I am sure that clarification will come sooner or later.

badri mannargudi
08-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Dear friends,
The issue raised by our friend, Shri Sandeepjee is understandable. But unfortunately the Govt of India Decision ( pl see page 227 Swamy's Hand Book 2008 Edition) stands in the way.

The officer may not be the only one in that category. Hence, the Federation of Govt Employees may take up the issue with Govt.
Individual representation may not yield desired result. However, there is nothing wrong in trying. Our friend may put in an Application seeking review in light of the fact that the GS is entitled to Higher Class/Air Entitlement.
Alternatively, the Govt may allow the couple to decide as to who shall avail the concession for a particular Block.
With regards,
Badri

S.C.Maheshwari
09-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Dear friend,
Will you kindly e-mail the complete case along with the rule you have refered.We will try to get clarification from Rly Board. Incase your wife forego the privillage of passes it may be possible for you to get LTC advantage

Maheshwari
General Secy. RREWA email ;- pensioner77@yahoo.com . ,rrewa@dataone.in

badri mannargudi
09-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Dear friends,
We must thank Shri Maheswarijee for evincing interest in trying to find a solution on the subject. I take this oppertunity to request all my beloved serving officers to show same respect to retired officers and to reciprocate.
Coming to the subject, Maheswariji! I have no copy of LTCRules Book at home. Any way, the 2008 Edn of Swamy's Hand Book shows that it is not a Rule, but a GOI Decision on Rule 1 which says that " spouses of employee of railways & National Airlines are not eligible for LTC."
Therefore efforts may be taken to review this decision in light of current entitlements. As suggested by GSjee, RREWA, we may ask the Govt to allow the couple to decide as to who will avail of the facility in this regard for a particular Block.
With Regards,
Badri

ShreekumarM
10-12-2008, 03:01 PM
However, by surrendering the spouse's right to privilege passes would not the family lose more. After all LTC is once in two/four years but passes are given much more frequently, even if for a lower class of travel.

badri mannargudi
10-12-2008, 04:02 PM
My dear friends,
The post at 1501 hours today shows that our beloved friend has considered that comfort can be sacrificed when the Quantum of facilities is at stake.
Well, it is natural for the learned friend to decide on the matter.
The conclusion by Shri SK shows that the GoI Decision under Rule 1 has acceptable logic.
With Regards,
Badri

junior
12-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Dear friends

Here one interesting point to note.When both the husband & wife employed in Railways both are eligible for previlage passes on their individual capacity and in both their passes the spouse & children are covered.And the pass can not be equated to LTC as this privilage is entitled by the employee in any transport sector as prevailing in universal.It is also intresting to note that whem a railway employee travells in forign country their also he has some previlages in railway of other country I undrestand .People may through light on this issue.Similarly when the spouse employed in Airlines also can be compared. In my opinion the GOVT can remove the restriction and allow the benefit as the case of HRA,DA etc.

with regards
junior

badri mannargudi
13-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Dear friends

Here one interesting point to note.When both the husband & wife employed in Railways both are eligible for previlage passes on their individual capacity and in both their passes the spouse & children are covered.And the pass can not be equated to LTC as this privilage is entitled by the employee in any transport sector as prevailing in universal.It is also intresting to note that whem a railway employee travells in forign country their also he has some previlages in railway of other country I undrestand .People may through light on this issue.Similarly when the spouse employed in Airlines also can be compared. In my opinion the GOVT can remove the restriction and allow the benefit as the case of HRA,DA etc.

with regards
junior

Dear friends,
I am not sure as what has made our friend believe that all Railway Servants are eligible for some concession in Railways all over the world!!!???
It is possible so when the officers of Railways visit foreign countries on duty.
When the visit is private, there may not be any chance for any sort of concessions.
With regards,
Badri

junior
16-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Dear Badriji,
I have only posted what i heard from a senior retired employee. I would like to know from the railway employees to throw light on both of the points.
with regards
junior

junior
22-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Dear badriji

It is said that there are privileges exists for the working Railway employees on foreign countries while they visit and it is known as RECIPROCAL PASS.Very few people only aware of this. If our Railway friends can enlighten this and more awareness can be created.

With regards,
Junior

Kanaujiaml
03-01-2009, 08:10 AM
My dear Mr. Sandeep. I am a retired Railway Officer. As far as I know Railway rules are very clear which provide for inclusion of spouse in privillage passes. Your wife may be getting three passes in every clander year. Rules for other central Govt. Deptts. are different as they are allowed LTC. In your case, it appears, rules do not provide for grant of LTC facility because you are availing the privillage pass facility of your wife. Such cases are in very small numbers. Therefore, Govt. may reconsider change in rules. But, for this you have to appeal to the higher ups through your head of Deptt. The issue can be taken up through Associations as well, if one is functioning in your Deptt./Office. The important argument in your favour would be that " a Govt. servent earns the privillage by virtue of his/her services rendered in the employment." Therefore, he cannot be debarred from such privillages as it would be against " natural justice". Good luck.

Kanaujiaml
03-01-2009, 08:29 AM
My dear Mr. Junior. In reference to post 11 above, I would like to participate in the issue as a retired Railway Officer. An Indian Railway Officer/Employee would be getting the facility of travel on Railway privillage/complimentary Pass in a foreign country only when an agreement exists between the Indian Railways and the Railway administration of such foreign country for such facility on raciprocal basis. However, such agreements are very very rare. It is a different thing altogether when Indian Railway personnel go to a foreign country on official visit / training etc. In such cases Railway Passes are issued locally by the Railway Administration of such country to Indian Railway personnel to travel on some specific route on such foreign Railway for some specific purpose and for a limited period of time or stay in that Country.

sumeviraj
01-05-2009, 11:38 AM
I am officer but i am not eligible to take liberalised LTC for

J&K Andaman & nicobar or NE .

On official tours we are not allowed to travel by air due to austerity for

which i am eligible . For LTC air travel is allowed ,as LTC is also denied i feel let

down . With air travel you save on time & leave also.

Can we go to CAT ??? :(

Spouse working in other org banks are all enjoying both privileges.

seek guidance :

vgova
20-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Dear all,
Is there any information on the ltc claim by a GS whose spouse is employed either in railways or in Airlines? I am also a affected person by that rule. I am ready to fight against that rule. I request the all such GS to join me.... Is any one started fighting anainst that rule by any means either through CAT or by sending representations to DOPT. Pl up date the information. I can be reached at vgova@rediffmail.com

vgova

ramanrao60
20-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Dear all,
Is there any information on the ltc claim by a GS whose spouse is employed either in railways or in Airlines? I am also a affected person by that rule. I am ready to fight against that rule. I request the all such GS to join me.... Is any one started fighting anainst that rule by any means either through CAT or by sending representations to DOPT. Pl up date the information. I can be reached at vgova@rediffmail.com

vgova

In My humble opinion the rule looks to be fair and logical and there is nothing unjust about it.
Both railways and IAC are government companies and the travel benefits extended to their employees are also borne by state.

Its not fair to have the cake and eat it too....

sinha_audit
20-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Shri Raman Rao ji,
The very contention of Shri Sandeep (post # 1) as described by him is that while he, being a Gr. A officer, would have been entitled to travel by Air on LTC had he been allowed the concession, his wife (Gr. C employee) is allowed only sleeper class passes from Railways.
No option is available for the couple either (to chose whose service facility both would like to keep and renounce other's) unlike the case where both are CG employees.
I am of the opinion that the case has merit to be taken up at higher level.

ramanrao60
20-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Shri Raman Rao ji,
The very contention of Shri Sandeep (post # 1) as described by him is that while he, being a Gr. A officer, would have been entitled to travel by Air on LTC had he been allowed the concession, his wife (Gr. C employee) is allowed only sleeper class passes from Railways.
No option is available for the couple either (to chose whose service facility both would like to keep and renounce other's) unlike the case where both are CG employees.
I am of the opinion that the case has merit to be taken up at higher level.
Shri Sinha ji

There are plusses and minuses
railway employees get, for anywhere in India, more than two passes a year and also PTOs, where as Ltc is once every four years, other than home town.
similarly if the case has been reverse say group C govt employee and grp d air india employee, even then the airline will give flight to both and whereas none would be entitled to air in govt
You win some and you loose some, either you can eat the cake or have it, not both

RKPATHAK
21-01-2012, 05:21 PM
You may submit a representation to Cabinet Secretary so modification in govt of india rules be considered

jaleelethiyil
21-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Dear all,

vgova
Sir,
If both spouses are working in railways,both will get privilege passes for full family even though not much use contradictory to ltc rules.if both spouses are working in different place,it is very difficult to use the pass.Think the problem of the spouses if one of them is posted in NE,J&K or any island destination which is mandatory in some cases. In railways parents will not come in the definition of family except widow mother.I am also affected by this rule.

rameshtale
26-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Dear Ramanji and Sandeepji,
All should fight for this,its affecting lot of people, all should unite to change LTC rule. somebody should take the initiative. Pl up date the information. I can be reached at rameshtale@rediffmail.com

rameshtale
26-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Sumeviraj
I think this is the best case for CAT, and I am sure, you will get the justice. But before going to CAT, first try to find some other solution. I can be reached at rameshtale@rediffmail.com