View Full Version : Treatment at a place of our choice

R K Rao
07-10-2011, 08:21 PM

I would like to get a coronary angiography done at Fortis hopsital, which is authorised under CGHS and nearer to my house than a Govt. hospital and where the facility is available.

However, the CGHS doctor today told me that he will send me to a Govt. hospital (which is far away) or to another hospital under CGHS (which is still far away).

In Mumbai I understand we can go to an hopsital of our choice. The fortis is nearer to my house and is a good one.

Is it a must that I should follow the CGHS doctor's ruling? Can I defy him and if so, will I get reimbursement?



07-10-2011, 09:24 PM
In fact Doctor of CGHS Dispensary shall never refer you to a private hospital. Ask him to refer you to Eye surgeon and then seek approval from your office and take treatment

R K Rao
08-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Dear Mr. Pathak,

Thank you firstly. Secondly, Sir, I did not understand the following two points in your reply -

(a) Never refer to a private hospital - Sir, in this case, Fortis is recognised under CGHS.

(b) Ask him to refer to Eye surgeon - Sir, in my case, it is for Coronary Angiography.

Kindly clarify when time permits.

[ p.s. today I had been to him and told him I shall get it done from Fortis whatever his opinion may be. He has ultimately given me a reference to the Fortis for investigation purpose only].

08-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Sorry I misinterept coronary with cornea and recorded eye specialist. In fact CGHS doctors never refer to a private hospitals even though these are CGHS approved. The always refer to Govt hospital. The best way to request the doctor to refer you to a cornonary spcialist.

08-10-2011, 09:59 PM
As per the procedure for reference CGHS/ Govt. Specialist / CMO i/c advises specific treatment procedure / test only. Permission to undergo same at one of the recognized Hospitals / Diagnostic centre is granted by HOD in case of Serving Govt. employees. Refer (http://msotransparent.nic.in/cghsnew/index1.asp?linkid=6&langid=1).

Since you have now been referred to Fortis, you may request the cardio to prescribe the tests required, after which you may seek permission from your Office after following due procedure.


R K Rao
09-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Mr Victor and Mr. Pathak,

Thank you for your valuable suggestions, Sirs.


15-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Dear Shri R K Rao... With due respect to you and the senior members Shri Victor and RK Pathak i would like to put in my piece of mind.......

The proceedures at CGHS are very very simple. Not at all difficult as most of the Central Government Servants feel. Remember... in most of the cases CGHS Wellness Clinic doctors act as mere courier agents.. The rule is very simple.. The patient must have a CONSULTATION with a CGHS Specialist or a Government Hospital Specialist of the disease concerned and what ever the specialist recommends i.e investigations/ surgery/admission, the same has to be brought to the notice of the CGHS dispensary and the CMO of the dispensary gives direct permission to undergo the same at any CGHS recognised hospitals in case of pensioners and in case of serving employees directs the beneficiary to take permission from the HOD of his department. Under any circumstances the CGHS doctor cannot RECOMMEND a recognised hospital and the choice of the hospital is ALWAYS the beneficiary's only. Also a CGHS doctor cannot refer you to FORTIS (in the instant case) for even investigations if you have not been seen by an eye specialist of CGHS or any Government eye hospital. Last but not the least....no treatment can be recommended by a CGHS doctor based on the consultation of any doctor other than a CGHS Specialist or a Government Hospital specialist... Wishing you a speedy recovery..

R K Rao
15-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Dear Mr. H-A-E Sir,

Thank you for the kind reply. I shall follow the guidance. Also, thank you for the wishes for speedy recovery.

My greetings to you for a Happy New Year and Sankranti.


RK Rao