PDA

View Full Version : Service book ...obtaining a certified copy .

DoToff
15-08-2011, 11:08 PM
In a recent article on this website, I read about the right of an employee to ask for a 'certified copy of his/her service book' .
My query is whether this copy can be asked only in a case of resignation or discharge or retirement? i.e whether it would be against (any) rules to ask for such a copy during normal course of service?
-DoToff

RKPATHAK
16-08-2011, 09:48 AM
It is not possible to give certified copy of service book at frequent intervals.

Victor
16-08-2011, 10:04 AM
The provision of providing certified copy of Service Book is NOT available during service. However, the same could be requested under the RTI Act.

Victor

smirajesh
18-08-2011, 09:33 PM
No..
Now its the duty of the administration section to provide a copy of the service book to the individual official. it is very much mentioned in the GFR ( Under Rule 2 (1) of GFR .. it is clearly stated that
First copy shall be retained and maintained by the Head
of the Office and the second copy should be given to the
government servant for safe custody as indicated below :-
(a) To the existing employees - within six months of the date on which
these rules become effective.
(b) To new appointees - within one month of the date of appointment

smirajesh
18-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Sorry there is a correction in quoting the rule..
It is Rule 257- 2-(a)
In January each year the Government servant shall handover his
copy of the Service Book to his office for updation. The office shall
update and return it to the Government Servant within thirty days of
its receipt

DoToff
14-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Rajesh ji,
This is wonderful development in favour of those who are at the receiving end by the custodians of the service book. ( In my organization the custodian(s) frowns if any body asks to see his/her own service book. ) Pls provide details of the circular/notification for this new rule. It will help us all in updating our information regarding service book.

In another thread http://gconnect.in/forums/showthread.php?697-verification-of-Service-Book-every-year , I happened to read this comment "As per the rules made in 2005, copy of service book is to be supplied to each and every serving employee. In 2005, it was instructed that for existing employees, the exercise was to be completed in 6 months and for any employee, at the time of opening service book a copy is to be opened and handed over to the employee. Please refer to rule 257 of GFR" . So is this the rule being referred by you pls?

-DoToff

smirajesh
14-09-2011, 03:31 PM
S..
U can very well refer the latest publication of GPF to see the details

prasannakumar
14-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Sirs,

A retired employee when sought certified copy of his records, he was asked to pay some amount. I would like to know whether any charges (for copying the records as in RTI) have to be paid to the department.

Prasanna Kumar

smirajesh
14-09-2011, 10:00 PM
S
if the department ask so .. it has to be paid the charges for photocopying..
As the rule is silent when a retired official wants to get it

prasannakumar
14-09-2011, 10:03 PM
S
if the department ask so .. it has to be paid the charges for photocopying..
As the rule is silent when a retired official wants to get it

Dear Rajeshji
Thanks for your immediate reply.

Prasanna Kumar