PDA

View Full Version : Deduction - Association subscription

R K Rao
12-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Dear Friends,

Earlier the salary was being disbursed in cash and therefore, we could deduct the association subscription through table recovery as per the check off system (By the way, where is the 'Check Off' System defined?).

But now the salary is paid through bank account. i.e. The Pay Accounts Office sends the cheque for salary after deudction of PF, CGEIS, CGHS and instalment towards advances. The balance amount has to be paid through bank account.

(a) So we can not make a table recovery beause if not paid in full, audit will object and we can not write off the pay bill amount in full ;

(b) In case we receive back the amount for subscription it amounts to a person paying on behalf of others like for e.g. LET US SAY a few persons do not want membership but are shown as members and their subscriptions paid by the leader/member. This defeats the very purpose of verification of membership and therefore (I think) the Check off system was formed. In such a case how to go about it?

(c) Similarly, in case of Group A officers, the Pay Accounts office directly pays the salary to the saving accounts of officers in the banks. Then what control do we have to recover and remit the dues for Officers' associations?

Any guidance is welcome.

Regards

RK:confused:

RKPATHAK
13-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Membership to an association is always voluntary and cannot be enforced. Members may at their own devise a system how the membership subscription can be collected

SASI
13-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Dear Friends,

Earlier the salary was being disbursed in cash and therefore, we could deduct the association subscription through table recovery as per the check off system (By the way, where is the 'Check Off' System defined?).

But now the salary is paid through bank account. i.e. The Pay Accounts Office sends the cheque for salary after deudction of PF, CGEIS, CGHS and instalment towards advances. The balance amount has to be paid through bank account.

(a) So we can not make a table recovery beause if not paid in full, audit will object and we can not write off the pay bill amount in full ;

(b) In case we receive back the amount for subscription it amounts to a person paying on behalf of others like for e.g. LET US SAY a few persons do not want membership but are shown as members and their subscriptions paid by the leader/member. This defeats the very purpose of verification of membership and therefore (I think) the Check off system was formed. In such a case how to go about it?

(c) Similarly, in case of Group A officers, the Pay Accounts office directly pays the salary to the saving accounts of officers in the banks. Then what control do we have to recover and remit the dues for Officers' associations?

Any guidance is welcome.

Regards

RK:confused:

Recognition to service associations are given on the basis of the verification form submitted by the employees. In cases where salary is paid through bank, subscription due to recognised associations are to be deducted by the PAO like other deductions and paid to the Office bearers of the Associations.

sasi

R K Rao
13-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Recognition to service associations are given on the basis of the verification form submitted by the employees. In cases where salary is paid through bank, subscription due to recognised associations are to be deducted by the PAO like other deductions and paid to the Office bearers of the Associations.

sasi

Mr Pathak and Mr. Sasi - Thank you.

Mr. Sasi, The staff of my office at Mumbai are being paid by PAO at Pune. I do not know if they would undertake the deduction and remittance work. I will write to them and try. Meanwhile, thanks.
RKR

prasannakumar
14-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Sirs,
First and foremost, the association has to be recognized by the respective institutions/departments. For this, there should be a bylaw which has to be submitted to the Head of the institutions along with the list of office bearers and members. Fee has to be collected for which receipts have to be issued. There should be an elected set of office bearers and executive committee which should have periodical meetings and the minutes of these meetings have to noted in the minutes book. General Body of all office bearers and members have also to be conducted as per the schedule and new set of office bearers including president, secretary, secretary, joint secretary etc has to be done in the general body meeting. If called for, all these details have to be intimated to the concerned authorities.

Payment of subscriptions, which is voluntary shall be done as per the convenience.

Hope this would be supplemented/criticized/complemented by learned members which is most welcome as my knowledge in this regard is minimum.

Thanks and regards
Prasanna Kumar

SASI
14-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Dear sirs,

Payment of subscription and recognition of service associations are governed by CCS RSA Rules 1993.Para 2. 2 of DOPT Circular regarding verification of membership says "Check-off system is a means to verify the membership of an Association on the basis of deduction of subscription from the pay-rolls. Under this system each Government employee, who is a member of an association is required to apply, in writing, to the DDO or any other designated authority, his consent, for the deduction of annual subscription, for the financial year, from the pay-roll in favour of a particular Association. On receipt of the application, the Association is required to confirm the membership, and thereafter pass on the application to the DDO for effecting recoveries".
Link to CCS RSA Rules :http://www.persmin.nic.in/CSWing/AUM/Annexures/Annexure-I.htm

regards

sasi

R K Rao
14-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Mr Prasanna Kumar and Mr. Sasi - Thank you for your kind and detailed reply. But I would like to inform you the following -
There are 4-5 associations (one for clerical, one for technical, one for drawing office staff and one for Steno , storekeeper etc). These associations function from far away places (like Avadi for Clerical etc, Delhi for technical and so on). All the employees in my office have signed membership deduction authorisation letter and the same has been sent to my office by concerned association.

The payment is made by PAO at Pune (to be the public fund account of my office from where it is disbursed). On a casual telephonic talk, when I had asked the PAO at Punde whether we can deduct the amounts through pay bill, they had said such extra work can not be accpeted by them. So, presently we now deudct that much amount from bank account of the employee while crediting the salary to his account.

There are no unions/ associations/ JCM IV level committee in my office. Only a nominated welfare committee exists for general welfare of the staff.

Regards

RK

prasannakumar
29-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Mr Prasanna Kumar and Mr. Sasi - Thank you for your kind and detailed reply. But I would like to inform you the following -
There are 4-5 associations (one for clerical, one for technical, one for drawing office staff and one for Steno , storekeeper etc). These associations function from far away places (like Avadi for Clerical etc, Delhi for technical and so on). All the employees in my office have signed membership deduction authorisation letter and the same has been sent to my office by concerned association.

The payment is made by PAO at Pune (to be the public fund account of my office from where it is disbursed). On a casual telephonic talk, when I had asked the PAO at Punde whether we can deduct the amounts through pay bill, they had said such extra work can not be accpeted by them. So, presently we now deudct that much amount from bank account of the employee while crediting the salary to his account.

There are no unions/ associations/ JCM IV level committee in my office. Only a nominated welfare committee exists for general welfare of the staff.

Regards

RK

Dear Mr.Rao

I was on a very long leave owing to which I was unable to log in to our G.connect forum.

Coming to the point, those are the real practical difficulties. As far as our department is concerned, our head office is at Bangalore with field offices all over Karnataka, Kerala, Tamilnadu and AP. We have state units which coordinate with the central association at Bangalore.
We for seeking redressal of grievances have filed some cases in Kerala High court as well as Karnataka high court.

Now we have decided to register a separate association for Kerala, but there are some practical difficulties also such as a member transferred to other states automatically ceases membership.

We are trying to address this issue and believe that all problems have solutions. Hope you too can devise any feasible modality.

Regards
Prassanna Kumar