PDA

View Full Version : Change of name

geeta
12-10-2010, 12:54 PM
I am central Government employee. I want to change my daughter's name in my official record. what procedure we have to follow in LIC and school. suggest me any one. What we have to do.

geeta

RKPATHAK
12-10-2010, 02:50 PM
There is little difference in change of name of minor and an adult. Normally the name recorded in Secondary School Certificate is considered as final. However, it is betrter to consul an advocate who can guide you about the detailed procedure like affidavit, notification, etc.

R K Rao
12-10-2010, 10:54 PM
I think there is a form available in the Govt. Press for change of name in which details are to be filled in and a fee is to be paid. The same (Change of name) will be published in the Govt. Gazette which can then be used as authority. The fee will depend on number of copies of Gazette required by the applicant. [ In Mumbai, the form is available at State Govt. press near Charni Road and we have used for change of name of ladies after marriage and change of name of Govt. employee whose name got misspelled over a number of years].

ramanrao60
13-10-2010, 09:32 AM
I think there is a form available in the Govt. Press for change of name in which details are to be filled in and a fee is to be paid. The same (Change of name) will be published in the Govt. Gazette which can then be used as authority. The fee will depend on number of copies of Gazette required by the applicant. [ In Mumbai, the form is available at State Govt. press near Charni Road and we have used for change of name of ladies after marriage and change of name of Govt. employee whose name got misspelled over a number of years].

additionally you need to give an advertisement in a local daily notifying the name change..... advocate may help

prabha
13-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Even if you change name in official records, name in the Birth Certificate will not be changed as per Birth & Death Act,1969.You will face lot of problems in future. It is better you don't go for a change. I am experiencing so many instances as I am functioning as Registrar of Birth & Deaths

R K Rao
15-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Even if you change name in official records, name in the Birth Certificate will not be changed as per Birth & Death Act,1969.You will face lot of problems in future. It is better you don't go for a change. I am experiencing so many instances as I am functioning as Registrar of Birth & Deaths

We generally put the first letter of father as the initial, like for example - the R in my name stands for my father's name. Accordingly, my daughter's name starts with initial as K (which is the first letter of my name). Hence her birth certificate is K...... Rao, whereas in all her school records etc. (as per the system in this State), her name is first and then comes my name i.e. D.K. Rao. So I have been thinking to go for a change of name for her birth certificate.

With your statement above, now I am confused. I do not know what to do?

Regards

RK

RKPATHAK
16-10-2010, 01:30 AM
Name recorded in Secondary School certificate is considered as final and all the formalities are required for such change. change in name before it can be made. As I suggested earlier it is better to consult an advocate

vnatarajan
16-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Dear Shri RKR,

Prabaha is very much correct.

What is recorded in the BIRTH CERTFICATE is always final and valid.
Birth certificate from valid "Revenue Authority" is what matters. School name at best can serve as an alias.

Never a Registrar/ Reveue Authrorities will allow "Change of Name' in Birth Certficate as it si forbidden in the ACT itself.

(AS PER THE ACT , NAME ONCE "REGISTERED" CAN NOT BE CHANGED. NOTHING PREVENTS ADDING ALIAS NAME. HINDUS CHANGING RELIGION MAY GIVE AN ALIAS NAME ACCRDG TO THE NEW REQUIREMENT!)

SO ADDING AN ALIAS NAME IS PERMISSIBLE AND LEGALLY VALID .

SO, YOU CAN APPLY FOR A REISSUE OF BIRTH CERTFICATE from the same concerned Revenue authorities - from where you got the Original BC issued ie place/ village district of your daughter's birth - REQUESTING FOR ADDING THE "ALIAS NAME" through a standard Affidavit stating the facts relating to the "original name" (follwing the ususl convention of Father';s Name preceding ...) and then the name used at home etc an for calling her - like having a "given" name in all school/ other records etc as D K Rao etc - and the need to incorporate now the same in the BC as "ALIAS" name - the said affidavit may be signed by both parents before a Notary and may be got duly Certified by the same.

I have got at least 3 such BCs reissued in different locations- required in connection with US Green Card applications for my nephews/ Colleague's children etc. and they are perfectly acceptable/ legal.

So in the new BC, the name will be given as "Ms K ..... Rao" alias " Ms D..........K.... Rao"

Pl note publishing in Gazette does not give you a "legal standing" or entitlement and Govt does not take any responsibility for it.. Anybody can publish a "change of Name" in a Gazette by paying the requiured fees. At best it is like putting up a Public Notice- like you do in News Papers also. It serves as a supporting document lkike your affidavit.

(A Registrar endorsing names by affixing a signature in the Birth & Death Register is a one-time act of the Govt taking the said facts (LIKE NAMES GIVEN ON BIRTH) into their Revenue related records forever. While they permit "NO CHANGE" in the original name given, any INCORPORATION (LIKE alias NAME) in such a record has to be again effected only by endorsement by the concerned Registrar/ Revenue Official as per the procedures of the ACT/ its Regulations/Rules.)

Hope this helps.

regards,
vnatarajan

R K Rao
17-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Dear Mr. Pathak and Natarajan Sir,

I am grateful to you for the concern and advise. I think I shall abide by what Shri Natarajan Sir has told to ensure that there is no problem in future. Regards once again.

RKR

vnatarajan
18-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Dear Shri RKR,

You have to convince the Revenue Authorities (Corporation/ Municipality etc where you got the original certifcate) first. NThis is because not many understand/ interpret the provisions properly. To have a Birth Certificate with Original and Alias Name is the "RIGHT" of every Citizen.

YOU CAN ATTACH ALL YOUR SCHOOL CERTIFICATES/ OTHER RECORDS WHERE YR DAUGHTER'S NAME STARTS WITH HER NAME FIRST. ALONG WITH THE COPY OF ORIGINAL BC WITH YOUR "SPEAKING" REQUEST FOR THE INCORPORATION OF "ALIAS" NAME AND ISSUE A "CORRECTED" BIRTH CERTIFICATE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PROVISIONS OF THE ACT/ FRAMEWORK OF RULES ETC.

DO NOT FORGET TO MAKE A "FACTUAL AFFIDAVIT" WITHOUT AMBIGUITY AND GET IT NOTARISED. THIS MUST ACCOMPANY THE REQUEST (OR THE PRESCRIBED APPLICATION FORM).

Otherwise, going for a full-fledged "Change of Name" is a difficult process- and may take a loing time. Nowadays, due to terrorists problems, the Registrars are not very "enthusistic" to allow "Change of Name" but not many objections are seen for adding "Alias" name.

Regards
vnatarajan

R K Rao
18-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Dear Natarajan Sir,

Thank you for the detailed guidance. I shall proceed as advised by you.

Regards

RK Rao