PDA

View Full Version : Pension !!

R K Rao
30-09-2010, 08:03 PM
:confused:

Dear Friends,

When a Pensioner dies, his widow gets the Family Pension as per the scale/amount intimated in the PPO, Right?

Recently, a friend of mine, who is a pensioner, lost his wife (the nominee and NOK for family pension). Another friend suggested that the same should be intimated to the Pension Authority so that the PENSION OF THE INDIVIDUAL COULD BE REDUCED PROPORTIONATELY.

I have not gone thorugh the pension rules. But is it so? I told him the pensioner gets his pension FOR THE SERVICE RENDERED BY HIM. But the friend argued that while sanctioning Pension, the element of the individual having to take care of his wifeis also taken into account and pension is sanctioned. Since the wife has died, pension will go down.

This is new to me, but then I don't know Pension Rules.

Your advice please?

Thanks and Regards

RK

Victor
30-09-2010, 08:45 PM
:confused:

Dear Friends,

When a Pensioner dies, his widow gets the Family Pension as per the scale/amount intimated in the PPO, Right?

Recently, a friend of mine, who is a pensioner, lost his wife (the nominee and NOK for family pension). Another friend suggested that the same should be intimated to the Pension Authority so that the PENSION OF THE INDIVIDUAL COULD BE REDUCED PROPORTIONATELY.

I have not gone thorugh the pension rules. But is it so? I told him the pensioner gets his pension FOR THE SERVICE RENDERED BY HIM. But the friend argued that while sanctioning Pension, the element of the individual having to take care of his wifeis also taken into account and pension is sanctioned. Since the wife has died, pension will go down.

This is new to me, but then I don't know Pension Rules.

Your advice please?

Thanks and Regards

RK

To the best of my knowledge, there is no basis to the arguments of your friend. I have not come across any rule in CSS(Pension) Rules, 1972 which provides the procedure for reducing the pension propotionately in the event of the death of the spouse.

Victor

R K Rao
30-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi Mr. Victor,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I am also of the same view. But it is just for your information that the friend who raised this aspect is a Senior Group A Officer in my office. Hence there was confusion in me.

Regards

RKR

RKPATHAK
30-09-2010, 10:16 PM
only family pension is reduced after a gap of time. Pension never reduced

ramanrao60
01-10-2010, 09:32 AM
pension to an employee is based on pay at the time of retirement and length of service rendered
it can be reduced only by a presidential order

but i feel the PPo can be got amended to delete the name of wife as eligible family pensioner

Mulukutla
01-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Why this unjust provocation? One's wife plays a significant role in helping the husband in the discharge of his duties at the work station, by catering to all the husband's needs at home; that way she also contributes to the bread earning of the family.
M.I.Suryanarayana

Kanaujiaml
05-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Yes, it is true. If the wife of the Pensioner deceases, after the desmie of the pensioner, the family pension goes to elligible heir, such as unmarried duaghter or widowed daughter. You would find whole set of rules if you visist rrewa.org website.

vnatarajan
05-10-2010, 08:35 PM
I am not sure if a "Family Pensioner" can be succeeded by another "Family Pensioner"! Needs verification.
(If "Spouse" pre-deceases- may be the case).
VN

RKPATHAK
05-10-2010, 09:03 PM
The querry raised is not specifc. Pension and Family Pension are two different. When a pensioner or dies his spouse shall get family pension, where as pension is granted on retirement of GS. In case the spouse dies first then the pensioner there is no question of family pension unless there are disabled/minor children, as such there is no question of deletion of the name of spouse from the PPO, however there is no harm in deletion

R K Rao
05-10-2010, 09:24 PM
The querry raised is not specifc. Pension and Family Pension are two different. When a pensioner or dies his spouse shall get family pension, where as pension is granted on retirement of GS. In case the spouse dies first then the pensioner there is no question of family pension unless there are disabled/minor children, as such there is no question of deletion of the name of spouse from the PPO, however there is no harm in deletion

Mr. Pathak, Kindly re-read my query to which you had also commented on 30 Sep. I don't understand by your present statement "the query raised is not specific". Anyway, I shall rephrase it now -

When a pensioner deceases, his spouse gets the family pension as per rates prevailing/sanctioned in the PPO.

In my office, a person has lost his wife. He is a pensioner. I was told by a senior Group A officer that when the spouse of a pensioner dies, the PENSION drawn by the Pensioner will be reduced proportionately because the family liability is taken while sanctioning the Pension.

I do not agree to this. Pension is sanctioned to a person for the service he has rendered and is based on the emoluments drawn by him. No other factor comes into scene. Since a family pensioner has not provided any service but is a dependent on the pensioner, a family pension is sanctioned for subsistance of the person dependent on the pensioner.

Therefore, the PENSION drawn by the Pensioner is not and can not be reduced if the nominee for family pension pre-deceases the pensioner.

[Here we are not bringing family pension into scene at all, because like you said, pension and family pensin are two different elements].

Thanks and Regards.

RKPATHAK
06-10-2010, 03:37 AM
This i fully agree. The pension shall never be reuduced when the penioner's spouse dies. You may inform the person concerned accordingly.

ramanrao60
06-10-2010, 06:56 AM
I am not sure if a "Family Pensioner" can be succeeded by another "Family Pensioner"! Needs verification.
(If "Spouse" pre-deceases- may be the case).
VN
there is specified list of hierarchy for eligibility to family pension like wife,widowed daughters etc...
if the top most eligible person in receipt of family pension deceases then the family pension moves to the next eligible kin and so on....until there are no more eligible kin
so this way one family pensioner succeeds
another

vnatarajan
06-10-2010, 11:01 AM
".......family pension moves to the next eligible kin and so on....until there are no more eligible kin
so this way one family pensioner succeeds another "

Are we sure?

Ther can be only "one time Family Pensioner(s)"!

VN

sundarar
06-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Respected Sirs,

Assuming both husband and wife are pensioners on respective retirement from Govt. Service, in case either one of them passes away,
the surviving one gets his/her own pension and in case he/she happens to be the nominee of the deceased pensioner, then he/she may be receiving family pension too. Am I right? In such a case, the family pension amount will naturally get reduced from the basic pension that was received by the one who passed away till his/her death.

Similarly, in case only husband or wife is the pensioner, and the surviving nominees in the order of hierarchy will be receiving the family pension. I may be corrected if I am wrong.