PDA

View Full Version : Onam

prasannakumar
19-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Dear all
In Kerala 10 days ONAM (Harvest festival) festivity in Kerala state has begun. Thiruvonam which the most important day of celebration is on Monday, the 23rd August. My hearty wishes for happy ONAM to all G.connectors, especially all Keralites.

Prasanna Kumar

jitendraacr
19-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Dear friend
We North Indians though do not celebrate Onam have every right to share your happiness. I hope you will share every good moments of your celebrations with us. Anyway, Thanks for your wishes.
Jitendra

jaleelethiyil
19-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Dear all
In Kerala 10 days ONAM (Harvest festival) festivity in Kerala state has begun. Thiruvonam which the most important day of celebration is on Monday, the 23rd August. My hearty wishes for happy ONAM to all G.connectors, especially all Keralites.

Prasanna Kumar

As a Keralite residing at Mumbai,I'am sharing your view.Please give an article regarding the concept behind the celibration of ONAM for others to get a better understanding

prasannakumar
20-08-2010, 07:00 AM
Dear friend
We North Indians though do not celebrate Onam have every right to share your happiness. I hope you will share every good moments of your celebrations with us. Anyway, Thanks for your wishes.
Jitendra

Dear Jitendraji and Jallel bhai,
Sure. From August 14th (Atham day) the festivity began. People from all walks of life join the festivity. In front of the houses, circular flower carpets are common. There will be different types of competition an these days.
According to Mythology, King Mahabali who was a very generous and due his popularity the king of Swarga, Devendra was afraid of his ruler ship as there was a chance of Mahabali becoming Indra. So, as per his request, Lord Vishnu came to earth as Vamana and asked for 3 foot of land for which Mahabali agreed. Then Vamana grow in stature and measured earth in one foot, heaven etc with second foot and there was no place for the thired foot. Then Mahabali offered his head over which Vamana measured the third foot and pushed Mahabali to Pahala. It is a belief that mahabali, who was pushed to Pathala by Vamana visits Kerala during onam days. Thiruvonam, which falls on 23rd of this month is the most important day which marks the end of celebrations. Sumptuous feast would be arranged(I think I have missed many more things). Try to visit Kerala once during onam days to experience its real pleasure.

As you said, Onam though is state festival of Kerala, I wish to share the happy moments with all, as we all Indians to start with.

Thanks for your wishes and my wishes to one and all

Regards
Prassanna Kumar

rsk11584
20-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Hi Friends,

Wish you all a HAPPY ONAM, can anyone tell whether central government offices are closed on ONAM or not on 23 rd because on 23rd it is leave for Tamilnadu State Government .

Victor
20-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Hi Friends,

Wish you all a HAPPY ONAM, can anyone tell whether central government offices are closed on ONAM or not on 23 rd because on 23rd it is leave for Tamilnadu State Government .

The list of holidays applicable in central government offices varies from city to city. In Delhi, the 23rd of August, 2010 is a Restricted Holiday on account of Onam.

My greetings to all on the ocassion of ONAM.

Victor

prasannakumar
02-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Sir,
List of closed holidays for CG offices in different states will be normally cirulated well in advance from the Centrla Govt. Co ordination committees of that particlar states

Regards
Prasanna Kumar