PDA

View Full Version : Advance increments to stenographers (ord. scale)-eligibbility-clarification-reg.

shobha
02-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Sir,

I had been working in an ICAR institute (through Direct Recruitment) as Stenographer Grade III from November 1995 onwards (Scale of pay 1200-30-2040 till December 31, 1995 and from 1.1.96 onwards to Rs. 4000-100-6000) and I got my 1st ACP in November 2007 to Pay Scale of Rs.5500-175-9000 and at present I am drawing the corresponding pay of Rs.9300-34800 with G.P. 4200/-. Before joining to ICAR service itself I had passed Diploma in Shorthand and Typewriting which includes English Stenography higher (Speed of 120 words/minute); from State Government Commercial Institute. I requested my office to grant two advance increments based on my Diploma certificate but denied my request showing the reasons that (i) passing of Departmental proficiency test (speed test of 120 w/m) is mandatory for grant of advance increments and (2) Vth CPC stopped the grant of advance increments to Stenos (ord. scale).

Sir, kindly clarify that

1. Whether Vth CPC stopped the sanction of advance increments to Stenographers ordinary scale(Rs.1200-30-2040 –pre-revised) for higher speed acquisition?
2. Passing of Departmental speed test is mandatory for claiming advance increments? Am I not eligible for the advance increments based on Stenography Diploma certificate issued by Controller of Technical Examinations, Board of Technical Education, Government of Kerala, Trivandrum?

Victor
02-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Sir,

I had been working in an ICAR institute (through Direct Recruitment) as Stenographer Grade III from November 1995 onwards (Scale of pay 1200-30-2040 till December 31, 1995 and from 1.1.96 onwards to Rs. 4000-100-6000) and I got my 1st ACP in November 2007 to Pay Scale of Rs.5500-175-9000 and at present I am drawing the corresponding pay of Rs.9300-34800 with G.P. 4200/-. Before joining to ICAR service itself I had passed Diploma in Shorthand and Typewriting which includes English Stenography higher (Speed of 120 words/minute); from State Government Commercial Institute. I requested my office to grant two advance increments based on my Diploma certificate but denied my request showing the reasons that (i) passing of Departmental proficiency test (speed test of 120 w/m) is mandatory for grant of advance increments and (2) Vth CPC stopped the grant of advance increments to Stenos (ord. scale).

Sir, kindly clarify that

1. Whether Vth CPC stopped the sanction of advance increments to Stenographers ordinary scale(Rs.1200-30-2040 –pre-revised) for higher speed acquisition?
2. Passing of Departmental speed test is mandatory for claiming advance increments? Am I not eligible for the advance increments based on Stenography Diploma certificate issued by Controller of Technical Examinations, Board of Technical Education, Government of Kerala, Trivandrum?

The grant of advance increments to Stenographers in Subordinate Offices for acquiring higher speed in short-hand still continues. Kindly refer to the latest order dated 7.12.2009 available at (http://persmin.nic.in/writedata/CircularNotification/ScanDocument/18_44_88-Estt.(Pay)-I.pdf).

However, the grant of increments is subject to terms and conditions prescribed in Order dated 4.10.1975 which is not available.

ramanrao60
02-08-2010, 05:19 PM
dear mr victor
i have observed that your replies are very crisp to the point and mostly with a link to the orders
thank you for enriching the forum and continue the good work

shobha
03-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Victor sir,
Thank you for your prompt reply. One more point I want to clarify sir, Whether passing of Departmental speed test is mandatory or my Diploma (Higher) certificate in Stenography (issued by Controller of Technical Examinations, Board of Technical Education, Government of Kerala, Trivandrum) is enough to claim advance increments?

RKPATHAK
03-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Normally stenographer's job is on performance basis. Thiough you have obtained a diploma in secretarial practice, you might have undergone stenography test at the time of recruitment. If it is so, you are required to pass the spped test. In this case your office is the best judge

Victor
03-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Victor sir,
Thank you for your prompt reply. One more point I want to clarify sir, Whether passing of Departmental speed test is mandatory or my Diploma (Higher) certificate in Stenography (issued by Controller of Technical Examinations, Board of Technical Education, Government of Kerala, Trivandrum) is enough to claim advance increments?

The OM dated 7/12/2009 mentions admissibility of increments "both at recruitment stage and while in service". So it appears that you are admissible for advance increments on the basis of your Diploma Certificate at the time of your initial recruitment and also if you pass any departmental test during your service. However, the exact details on this should be availalbe in the initial OM dated 4.10.1975. Unfortunately, this OM is not available and I tried my best to search for it. If you happen to get a copy, kindly let me know.

Victor
(pva)

Victor
03-08-2010, 01:14 PM
dear mr victor
i have observed that your replies are very crisp to the point and mostly with a link to the orders
thank you for enriching the forum and continue the good work

Dear Shri Rao

Thanks very much for the compliment. It is my constant endeavour to help all govt. officials so as to clarify their doubts/queries. I feel this forum gives a unique platform to share our views/opinions/comments/knowledge resources so that everybody is benefitted. Thanks once again for the encouragement.

Regards

Victor
(pva)

ramanrao60
03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
that should be the spirit
may your tribe increase
and let me say this once more... every thing i said was from the heart
jeena usika hai jeena jisne ye raaz jana

hai kaam aadmi ka auron ke kaam aana

shobha
03-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks Victor sir, whatever relevant papers available with me, will attach soon.

Ramnath
03-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Dear Shoba,
I saw your query regarding speed test. Pl. note that in the OM issued long back as stated by Mr.Victor. It states like this:
The department/administration shall conduct such speed test at the recruitment stage once in six months.

It states shall conduct. That is why many departments do not conduct. Suppose, if wordings were Should Conduct (probably they would conduct every 6 months). The certificates obtained by persons (from Technical eduction, of concerned State Government which covers not only speed test but also second paper called transcription in TNadu) is not considered valid and rejected. Neither the Department conducts such test for existing stenos nor it accepts the certificates obtained from such meriotorious departments (Technical Education). For example, in Central Excise, the promotion from LDC, etc, the speed test is given by departmental people only (not by outside agency). We the existing stenos have passed from an outside agency which is not honoured. You can judge for yourself which one has more merit.

I even represented in my Department for honouring my qualification (speed) but it ended in vain. I even quoted that for any appointment it states like this for example, Matriculation or equivalent. For those repatriats, qualification obtained from Srilanka, Burma, etc. boards are also accepted for appointment. Why not this from the States Govt departments of Tech Education of INdia honoured.

the fact is: Neither the Department admn conducts such exam nor it honours the one from outside.

I remember having read such in old FRSR books. If I get the copy, I will definitely post one here shortly.

Bye.
Ramnath

Ramnath
03-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Dear Shobha madam,

There is no grant of increment for qualifications acquired prior to joining the service. Any views of other boarders is welcome in this regard.

Ramnath

shobha
04-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Victor sir, please see the attached file (swamy's news old copy).
shobha

shobha
04-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Sir,

My doubt is why used a word ‘at recruitment stage’ in the original order? In addition to this, we have to see that stenos who passed departmental test will get adv. increments throughout the service period and not for a specified period/years. Even if a stenographer passed the deptl. speed test may lose their capacity to take dictation after some idle years. If so, what is the meaning of such a departmental test? In such a situation, why can’t consider Technical Education Department’s Certificate as valid for sanction of adv. increments?

Victor
04-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Sir,

My doubt is why used a word ‘at recruitment stage’ in the original order? In addition to this, we have to see that stenos who passed departmental test will get adv. increments throughout the service period and not for a specified period/years. Even if a stenographer passed the deptl. speed test may lose their capacity to take dictation after some idle years. If so, what is the meaning of such a departmental test? In such a situation, why can’t consider Technical Education Department’s Certificate as valid for sanction of adv. increments?

The 1989 order which you have posted talks of revision of increments consequent to implementation of 4CPC. Only the initial order issued way back in 1975 can indicate the specific terms and conditions, modalities, etc., under which the advance increments can be given. In the absence of this order it would be difficult to comment anything on this issue.

By the way, were you appointed as Stenographer Gr.III on the basis of the Diploma in Shorthand and Typing which you were holding at the time of recruitment or a separate skill test was held by your organisation, the passing of which was mandatory.

Victor
(pva)

shobha
05-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Sir,

I have been appointed as Steno. Gr.III after Departmental speed test and interview (Direct recruitment). I think, recruitment time test is to prepare rank list.

I have personal information about one Central Government department, where advance increments sanctioned based on the Stenography Diploma certificate? But I could not attach the order copy, because it may negatively affect them.
I am attaching herewith FR 27 (6, 7, 8 & 9) details (FRSR Fourteenth edition 1999). Kindly go through FR27(6) (iv) and Clarification 2. Since I am drawing my pay in the Pay scale of 9300-34800(4200 GP) after my first ACP, Can I attend departmental speed test now?

shobha
05-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Sir,

I have been appointed as Steno. Gr.III after Departmental speed test and interview (Direct recruitment). I think, recruitment time test is to prepare rank list.

I have personal information about one Central Government department, where advance increments sanctioned based on the Stenography Diploma certificate? But I could not attach the order copy, because it may negatively affect them.
I am attaching herewith FR 27 (6, 7, 8 & 9) details (FRSR Fourteenth edition 1999). Kindly go through FR27(6) (iv) and Clarification 2. Since I am drawing my pay in the Pay scale of 9300-34800(4200 GP) after my first ACP, Can I attend departmental speed test now?

Victor
06-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Sir,

The 1975 order which you have enclosed clears the issue. The order states that one will be eligible for advance increments if a recruit clears the test at the time of recruitment or later in service. Hence, only if you qualify departmental tests conducted at the time of your recruitment or later in service you will be eligible for the additional increments. The Diploma in Shorthand and Typing which you have will not be considered for grant of the additional increments.

Kindly check at what speed you cleared the shorthand test in the departmental test which you gave at the time of your recruitment. If your speed was 100 words per minute then you are eligible for one increment from the date of your appointment in service. Likewise two increments if you had cleared at 120 words per minute.

If a direct recruit has not cleared the test at the speed of 100/120 then three chances are given in service for clearing the test. Another condition is that the scheme is available to Stenographers (Ordinary Grade) and Stenographers (Selection Grade). Hence the present scale in which you are is not important and only the present grade will be the deciding factor.

Hope this clarifies all your queries.

Victor
(pva)

shobha
07-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Victor sir,

Thanks and ok. crystal clear. only a minor portion is pending. In case I will be qualified in departmental speed test now, what will be increment rate drawing scale (9300-34800 with GP 4200) or old one (5200-20200 with gp 2400)

RKPATHAK
07-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Advance increment to stenographers is @ rate of normal rate of increment, which presently is 3% of (basic+grade pay) rounded off to next rs 10

Victor
07-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Victor sir,

Thanks and ok. crystal clear. only a minor portion is pending. In case I will be qualified in departmental speed test now, what will be increment rate drawing scale (9300-34800 with GP 4200) or old one (5200-20200 with gp 2400)

Normally after every Pay Commission, orders are issued to revise the rate of increment. This time however, I have not come across any order so far which revises the rate of increment after implementation of 6CPC. Hence, we have to wait for formal orders to be issued in this regard.

Victor
(pva)

prasannakumar
08-08-2010, 08:35 PM
The rate of increment followed in our department is 3% rounded to Re. 10/- (Normally next Rs. 10/-)

Prasanna Kumar