PDA

View Full Version : Pension for bsnl employees retired voluntarily

RADHA
27-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Dear Pension Forumers,

I have retired from BSNL (earstwhile Dept of Telecom) voluntarily in March 2010 with a total service of 17 years(8 years in DOT+9 years in BSNL) . I would like to know whether basic pension is fixed as Basic pay/2 X 17/33 or Basic pay/2 X 17/20 as per the revised 20 years qualifying service.
Thanks in advance.
:confused:

vnatarajan
27-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Basic pay/2 X 17/20 as per the revised 20 years qualifying service
I feel so
VN

tvenkatam
27-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Dear Friends,

In accordance with para 5.3 of O.M. No. 38/37/08-P&PW(A) dated 02.09.2008, a Government servant entitled to pension on completion of 10 years of qualifying service under Rule 49(2) of CCS (Pension) Rules 1972 shall be paid pension at 50% of the emoluments or average emoluments received during the last 10 months.

veekumarv
28-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Dear Radha,
I tend to agree with Mr.tvenkatam, as the Govt. has discontinued granting reduced pension (as it used to be before by way of giving pro-rata pension) w.e.f. 1.1.2006 and Full Pension is always granted since the afore-metioned date (though it needs to be confirmed from the Department of Pension, for which I have already sent an RTI Query and am waiting for its reply). However, it is not clear when you mentioned that you have taken Voluntary Retirement, because for taking Voluntary Retirement, you need to complete 20 years of total service in Government and in your case you have only 17 years. I feel, you must have retired following Absorption in BSNL and in that case, it is called Retirement on Absorption in PSUs (and NOT Voluntary Retirement as you have mentioned). Anyway, you are entitled to Full Pension as rightly mentioned by Mr.tvenkatam.

Regards.

Veerendra Kumar

veekumarv
28-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Dear Radha,

I tend to agree with Mr. tvenkatam. You will get Full Pension and not reduced pro-rata pension as you had thought of. W.e.f. 1.1.2006, Govt. has discontinued granting of Pro-rata Pension for those having less than 33 years of service (but more than 10 years of service) as it used to be before 1.1.2006, as pointed out by Mr.tvenkatam, though this issue needs to be confirmed by DOP&PW ( I have already sent an RTI Query on this to DOP and the reply is awaited - I am also like you but having been sanctioned pro-rata pension w.e.f. 1.1.1996 following my absorption in PGCIL - I had also less than 20 years of Govt service before absorption in PGCIL).

However, is not clear when you mentioned that you have taken Voluntary Retirement. As per the extant orders of the Central Govt, one cannot take Voluntary Retirement unless one has a minimum of 20 years of service, and in your case, you have only 17 years of service, as per what you have mentioned. I think you must have been absorbed in BSNL as I had done, and such a retirement is called Retirement following Absorption in PSUs and NOT Voluntary Retirement as you have mentioned.

Anyway, you are entitled to get Full Pension (and NOT Reduced Proportionate [OR pro-rata] Pension as you had thought of), subject to confirmation on this by DOP & PW.

Regards,

Veerendra Kumar

yenyem
28-05-2010, 07:37 PM
dear friends,

in accordance with para 5.3 of o.m. No. 38/37/08-p&pw(a) dated 02.09.2008, a government servant entitled to pension on completion of 10 years of qualifying service under rule 49(2) of ccs (pension) rules 1972 shall be paid pension at 50% of the emoluments or average emoluments received during the last 10 months.
dear friends,

fixed medical allowance is increased from rs.100 t0 rs.300 for pensioners w.e.f. 01 09.2008. Some improvement.

Yenyem

nps
29-05-2010, 05:14 AM
Dear Friends,

In accordance with para 5.3 of O.M. No. 38/37/08-P&PW(A) dated 02.09.2008, a Government servant entitled to pension on completion of 10 years of qualifying service under Rule 49(2) of CCS (Pension) Rules 1972 shall be paid pension at 50% of the emoluments or average emoluments received during the last 10 months.

Dear Sir,
My understanding is that 'full pension' is granted to,
(i) a member retiring/superannuating with a minimum of 10 years of qualifying service, and
(ii) a member taking voluntary retirement with a minimum of 20 years qualifying service.

Either full pension or null pension. No more proportionate pension!

tvenkatam
29-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Dear Sir,
My understanding is that 'full pension' is granted to,
(i) a member retiring/superannuating with a minimum of 10 years of qualifying service, and
(ii) a member taking voluntary retirement with a minimum of 20 years qualifying service.

Either full pension or null pension. No more proportionate pension!

Dear Friend,

I endorse your views and further clarify that those who avail voluntary retirement will no more be benefited with the weightage of service of 5 years. In cases of qualifying service falling short of 20 years (other than superannuation, invalid and compulsory retirement), there will be no monthly pension even the proportionate pension.

Voluntary retirement with 17 years of qualifying service will only entail payment of service gratuity and no pension as per the prevailing pension rules governing the government servants.

kapoor1973
04-08-2010, 09:03 PM
If a BSNL employee (Absorbed from DoT) having combined service (Dot + BSNL) between more than 10 years but less than 20 years take voluntary Retirement under rule 37 (A) part 11 after 1-9-2008. Then:-
Whether he will get full pension (50% of emoluments) as per your office letter no. (Pension Section) 40-18/2008-Pen(B) Dated 31-08-2009.
Or
If not as (a) then what pension he will get and under which rule.
If he get pro rata then what will be the factor 33 years or 20 years and under which rule ?

kapoor1973
06-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Dear Friend,

I endorse your views and further clarify that those who avail voluntary retirement will no more be benefited with the weightage of service of 5 years. In cases of qualifying service falling short of 20 years (other than superannuation, invalid and compulsory retirement), there will be no monthly pension even the proportionate pension.

Voluntary retirement with 17 years of qualifying service will only entail payment of service gratuity and no pension as per the prevailing pension rules governing the government servants.

But in BSNL VRS is there after 10 years of service see CCS rule 37 A part 11

Victor
06-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Dear Pension Forumers,

I have retired from BSNL (earstwhile Dept of Telecom) voluntarily in March 2010 with a total service of 17 years(8 years in DOT+9 years in BSNL) . I would like to know whether basic pension is fixed as Basic pay/2 X 17/33 or Basic pay/2 X 17/20 as per the revised 20 years qualifying service.
Thanks in advance.

If you retire in accordance with the CCS(Pension) Rules, 1972, then you will be eligible for full pension i.e. 50% of your Last Basic Pay or 50% of your average Basic Pay of last 10 months, whichever is more beneficial.

Victor
(pva)

Kanaujiaml
09-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Dear Pension Forumers,

Thanks in advance.

I assume, full service on deputation/absorption to BSNL is counted for the purpose of qualifying service and Govt. has given option for prematured retirement. There is no VRS shceme any more and the same has been withdrawn w.e.f. 1.1.06 and advantage of added years is no more available to new retirees. In that case, your pension would be fixed at 50% of basic Pay(pay in the pay band plus grade pay) multiplied by a factor of 17/20.

Victor
09-08-2010, 08:22 PM
I assume, full service on deputation/absorption to BSNL is counted for the purpose of qualifying service and Govt. has given option for prematured retirement. There is no VRS shceme any more and the same has been withdrawn w.e.f. 1.1.06 and advantage of added years is no more available to new retirees. In that case, your pension would be fixed at 50% of basic Pay(pay in the pay band plus grade pay) multiplied by a factor of 17/20.

There is no factor of 17/20 in CCS(Pension) Rules, 1972.

Kanaujiaml
11-08-2010, 05:35 PM
There is no factor of 17/20 in CCS(Pension) Rules, 1972.

Factor 17/20 means prorata fixation of pension i. e. full pension is available now for 20 yrs qualifying service. If the service is less than 20 yrs but more than 10 yrs., say 17 yrs. than pension would be equval to 50% of sum of pay in the pay band plus grade pay. multiplied by 17 and whole divided by 20 yrs. This is all covered by new pension rules read with various OMs issued by DOP.

Victor
11-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Factor 17/20 means prorata fixation of pension i. e. full pension is available now for 20 yrs qualifying service. If the service is less than 20 yrs but more than 10 yrs., say 17 yrs. than pension would be equval to 50% of sum of pay in the pay band plus grade pay. multiplied by 17 and whole divided by 20 yrs. This is all covered by new pension rules read with various OMs issued by DOP.

I would have appreciated if you could have referred to specific rules and OMs issued by GOI.

Victor
(pva)

prasannakumar
11-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Dear Mr. Kanaujimal,

As Mr. Victor stated, the 17/20 factor is not noticed in the 6 CPC circulars. Can you please provide the details of the same.

Regards
Prasanna Kumar

vnatarajan
12-08-2010, 08:51 AM
(May be for Old Pension Rule category)

I think some clarity is required for understanding the issue:

1)WHAT ARE THE STIPULATIONS GOVERNING THE "10 YR" QS FOR "FULL PENSION"? WHO ARE THE INCUMBENTS ELIGIBLE FOR IT?

(eg. PSU absorbees and the like? If so it is not open to all)

2)SIMILARLY WHAT ARE THE STIPULATIONS GOVERNING THE "20 YR" QS FOR "FULL PENSION"? WHO ARE THE INCUMBENTS ELIGIBLE FOR IT?

3) OTHER THAN THESE "THRESH-HOLD" LEVELS OF QS, IS THERE ANY PROVISION FOR GRANT OF PRO-RATA PENSION WHEN INCUMBENTS DO NOT HAVE SUCH LENGTHS OF "QS"?

Obviously, there may not be any such provisions as Govt. has not "tinkered" with other "conditions" other than altering the "thresh-hold"levels of QS for full pension.

For a Government Servant, who does not come under the "10 yr" QS category, he may have to complete a minimum of 20yrs QS for full pension. Only additional privilege is that he can hang up his towel after 20 yrs and retire "voluntarily" to enjoy full pension based on his "LAST PAY DRAWN" with all other RETIRAL BENEFITS.

VNatarajan

Victor
12-08-2010, 09:42 AM
(May be for Old Pension Rule category)

I think some clarity is required for understanding the issue:

1)WHAT ARE THE STIPULATIONS GOVERNING THE "10 YR" QS FOR "FULL PENSION"? WHO ARE THE INCUMBENTS ELIGIBLE FOR IT?

(eg. PSU absorbees and the like? If so it is not open to all)

2)SIMILARLY WHAT ARE THE STIPULATIONS GOVERNING THE "20 YR" QS FOR "FULL PENSION"? WHO ARE THE INCUMBENTS ELIGIBLE FOR IT?

3) OTHER THAN THESE "THRESH-HOLD" LEVELS OF QS, IS THERE ANY PROVISION FOR GRANT OF PRO-RATA PENSION WHEN INCUMBENTS DO NOT HAVE SUCH LENGTHS OF "QS"?

Obviously, there may not be any such provisions as Govt. has not "tinkered" with other "conditions" other than altering the "thresh-hold"levels of QS for full pension.

For a Government Servant, who does not come under the "10 yr" QS category, he may have to complete a minimum of 20yrs QS for full pension. Only additional privilege is that he can hang up his towel after 20 yrs and retire "voluntarily" to enjoy full pension based on his "LAST PAY DRAWN" with all other RETIRAL BENEFITS.

VNatarajan

As you rightly said, govt. officials who join PSUs or autonomous bodies on absorption basis with minimum 10 years of qualifying service are eligible for pension. Also late entrants in service or persons re-employed could have minimum 10 years of QS on their superannuation. Such officials will also be eligible for pension if they have the minimum 10 years of QS.

Govt. officials under Rule 48-A can opt for retirement from service after completion of 20 years of qualifying service.

So with the recent clarifications issued after implementation of 6CPC, govt., officials retiring with minimum 10years of QS or with minimum of 20 years of QS are eligible for full pension. The clause of pro-rata pension does not exist any more w.e.f. 1.1.2006.

terrance
12-08-2010, 05:04 PM
As pointed out, there is no pro-rata pension any more after 1-1-2006.

Generally, all who have completed 20 years of service are eligible for full pension.

However, a sub-group of officials, which is NOT defined completely, with 10 years of service, are ALSO eligible for FULL pension.
Who are this sub-group ?

The knowledgeable may please clarify !

tvenkatam
12-08-2010, 07:47 PM

Generally, all who have completed 20 years of service are eligible for full pension.

However, a sub-group of officials, which is NOT defined completely, with 10 years of service, are ALSO eligible for FULL pension.
Who are this sub-group ?

Dear Friend,

Vide para 5.3 of O.M. No. 38/37/08-P&PW(A) dated 02.09.2008, a Government servant is entitled to pension on completion of 10 years of qualifying service under Rule 49(2) of CCS (Pension) Rules 1972 and shall be paid pension at 50% of the emoluments last drawn.

Under Rule 49(2)(a) and 49(2)(b) all those who retire on superannuation after completing a minimum qualifying service of 10 years are covered.

Victor
12-08-2010, 08:36 PM

Who are this sub-group ?

Officials joining PSUs/Autonomous Bodies on absorption basis after 10 years of QS are entitled to pension. Similarly, late entrants or persons re-employed (like ex-servicemen) and who have minimum 10 years of QS on superannuation also come under this category. Also officials who are compulsory retired as a measure of penalty or persons who retire on medical grounds and have minimum 10 years QS, could also come in this category.

All such persons are eligible for pension if they have the minimum required 10 years of Qualifying Service. Such persons will get full pension on retirement.

Victor
(pva)

vnatarajan
13-08-2010, 01:46 PM
I feel explanation of Mr Victor is quite clear.

DOPW's main guideline says:

"The minimum eligibility period for receipt of pension is 10 years. A Central Government servant retiring in accordance with the Pension Rules is entitled to receive superannuation pension on completion of at least 10 years of qualifying service"

In other cases (like VR) the 20yr QS will come in.

vnatarajan

PS: I also feel late entrants/ lateral entrants to Govt service who may have only 10 yrs or more to serve and SPERANNUATE in normal course shall also get the full pension. This had been one of the dissasatisfaction/ irritating factor of many past RETIREES who - entered late into Govt service due to various reasons and because they fell short of 33 yrs, they were not getting FULL PENSION! Now this dissent may disappear.