PDA

View Full Version : Official works during earned leave

cpkumar
27-05-2010, 09:19 AM
I believe that it is not against any Government of India rules/procedure to willingly carry out any official works (such as submitting medical reimbursement bill, writing ACR of a subordinate, attending official meeting, writing official reminders for submitting required information etc) while being on Earned Leave (local stay). Please confirm.

My basic intention for the query is - if an employee is willingly doing some of the official tasks (without being asked by the employer) during his earned leave (so that his own work does not pile up during the course of leave), then it is not against any government rules/procedure and administration should not have any objection to that.

Just for an example, if an officer submits medical reimbursement bill during earned leave to his immediate superior, then he (superior, on duty in the office) should forward it to the finance section for settlement of claim. To quote another example, if the last date for submitting the report of "Reporting Officer" (for ACR of a subordinate) falls within the period of leave, then there should not be any objection to write ACR of a subordinate by an officer during his earned leave.

I look forward for guidance in this matter.

prasannakumar
07-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Sir,
It all depend on how the matter is perceived by your controlling officer. If they feel you are availing leave and working, it may be construed that you are not willing to sit in the office and work with your collegues and suordinates. If they feel even you are working during leave period with the good interest of the department, you will be apprciated.

In some instances, the office may seek some information over phone regarding some official matters. That does not mean that you are on official duty.

You may have to note that, if you commit some mistakes unintentionally while attending to your official duties during the leave period, it again depends on how the higher officers take note of it.

This is my personal opinion only and at any cost, please donot consider this as any official matter.

Regards
Prasanna Kumar

RKPATHAK
07-06-2010, 03:16 PM
An employee on leave can be recalled if situation so warrants

venkatcustoms
08-06-2010, 01:40 PM
I believe that it is not against any Government of India rules/procedure to willingly carry out any official works (such as submitting medical reimbursement bill, writing ACR of a subordinate, attending official meeting, writing official reminders for submitting required information etc) while being on Earned Leave (local stay). Please confirm.

My basic intention for the query is - if an employee is willingly doing some of the official tasks (without being asked by the employer) during his earned leave (so that his own work does not pile up during the course of leave), then it is not against any government rules/procedure and administration should not have any objection to that.

Just for an example, if an officer submits medical reimbursement bill during earned leave to his immediate superior, then he (superior, on duty in the office) should forward it to the finance section for settlement of claim. To quote another example, if the last date for submitting the report of "Reporting Officer" (for ACR of a subordinate) falls within the period of leave, then there should not be any objection to write ACR of a subordinate by an officer during his earned leave.

I look forward for guidance in this matter.

I fuly agree with you, Sir, that is not against Govt. rule that a person wants to attend to official duty while he is on some recorded leave. But as the predecessor has told, if any lapse is found on the work so done, you will not be left out just with an excuse of "officer on leave". In fact, you will be grilled with questions like "what interest you have got in doing this official work during your leave period"

Jovially, I want to add that It may not be against Govt. Rule that you want to work during your leave period; but it shows that you are workaholic. Better take rest and think out of office atleast during leave period.

R K Rao
08-06-2010, 09:51 PM
In this connection, I too would like to add something.

When the orders for 40% payment was issued, - a lot of work cropped up all of a sudden. Fixing provisional pay to ensure that Sep 08 pay is paid as per revised rules, pay fixation proforma is prepared, due / drawn statement is made for 32 months etc.

Because there was a lot of anxiety, curiosity and hope with all employees (who will not allow peaceful and undisturbed working), I took leave for a week (though I was not in any way responsible for the arrears), sat at home and completed everything and ensured that payment is made as per schedule and was appreciated by all colleague and other superiors alike.

Later on, when another colleague failed to send a report (pertaining to some totally different admin matter), the boss called all staff and fired left and right and passed the following comment -

"When it was payment of arrears, you paid within a short time, but this report could not be sent in time (actual words were - sabse pahele arrears packet me dalne ko aya aur ispe sothe rahe...)"

I took it personally (while others shed it once they left his room) and I did not do anything for 60% payment. As a result, the payment took more than 2 months to even prepare the claim.

He was not bothered about the delay.

Got it?

RK Rao

cpkumar
04-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Another appropriate reply from Mr. P. S. Dhingra (posted in other group) is reproduced below for kind information of all.

Regards
C. P. Kumar

====================================

Dear Kumar,

From the case pointed out by you, what I feel, either you or some one of your acquaintances seem to have been made target of the ignorance of rules of some one superior. No matter, leg pulling is often prevalent in almost every organization. But, if intend to do that way against some of your junior, please don't do that due to the following valid reasons.

About instance of medical reimbursement bill, I may point out that submission of medical reimbursement claim is not an official duty, rather it is personal and private matter of the Government servant and can be done any time during his duty or leave period.

About writing of ACRs of subordinates, it of course is an official duty and if some one does his official duty or fulfills his obligation voluntarily during his leave period in the exigency of service there is no objection, no Rule of the CCS (Leave) Rules 1972 bars any Government servant from doing Government duty, if he has to do some official duty some time in the exigency of service.

Even otherwise also, Rule 11 of the Fundamental Rules (FR) very clearly lays down "unless in any case it be otherwise distinctly provided, the whole time of a Government servant is at the disposal of the Government which pays him." However, by an official order, although not required under any rule, if any one is prohibited to do his official duty only that would hold good. Any verbal instruction would be invalid. During suspension period, of course, a Government servant is barred from doing any official duty.

Exigency of service is such a tool that even the Government uses that in order to refuse leave to the Government service under Rule 7(2) of the CCS (Leave) Rules 1972, which states, "When the exigencies of public service so requires, leave of any kind may be refused or revoked by the authority competent to grant it." Not even that in the exigency of service a Government servant can be recalled from leave under the provisions of Rule 23 of the CCS (Leave Rules) 1972 and the remaining leave of his is canceled.

So, even commonsense says, if the whole time of the Government service is at the disposal of the Government and in the exigency of service leave of the Government servant can be refused, revoked or he may be recalled for duty, why the Government servant cannot voluntarily and without asking, do any of his official duty in emergency/exigency of service?

I hope these points would have cleared doubts of your mind.

PS Dhingra
Vigilance & Transformation Management Consultant
Dhingra Group of management & Educational Consultants
New Delhi

====================================