PDA

View Full Version : Ltc

aneesh
14-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Dear Friends

I need one clarification on LTC. One of my colleague had applied for one day casual leave on Friday and availed LTC and 10 days encashment of leave. But he started his journey on Saturday and came back on Sunday Night and reported for duty on Monday. Accounts people are not admitting his claim stating that he has not started his journey during leave but availed LTC on holidays. Please clarify whether the contention of accounts is right and also the rule position.

tvenkatam
14-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Dear Friends

I need one clarification on LTC. One of my colleague had applied for one day casual leave on Friday and availed LTC and 10 days encashment of leave. But he started his journey on Saturday and came back on Sunday Night and reported for duty on Monday. Accounts people are not admitting his claim stating that he has not started his journey during leave but availed LTC on holidays. Please clarify whether the contention of accounts is right and also the rule position.

According to Rule 7 (2) of CCS (LTC) Rules, 1988 the Leave Travel Concession shall be admissible during any period of leave, including casual leave and special casual leave. The implications of this provision may be interpreted as under:

If a recognized and restricted holiday or holidays (Such as Sundays, Republic day and other closed holidays) falls/fall on the day immediately preceding that of which the leave begins or follows that on which the leave ends and individual who is not required for duty on such holidays with the expressed permission of the leave sanctioning authority may leave the station/return to duty station any time during such leave/holiday/holidays. No Leave Travel Concession is admissible when an employee undertakes journey during the weekend or any other period of holidays alone. However, when casual leave with permission to prefixing/suffixing holidays is availed, the entire leave period including holidays shall be deemed to have been granted leave of absence and eligible for undertaking LTC journey. There should be no insistence on when to commence onward or complete return journey.

svsankar
15-01-2010, 10:16 PM
I agree with venkatam sirs comments and further add that the LTC rules say that LTC cannot be availed only on holidays. Regular leave/Casual leave has to be availed. You have availed one day CL. that is enough. The version of your accounts is wrong. You should have submitted your date of commencement of journey in your application for LTC and the sanction should also have mentioned about it.
svsankar.

badri mannargudi
16-01-2010, 06:29 PM
My dear friends,

While one must approach a subject with compassion, one can not afford to lose sight of Rules at the same time.

In the instant case, the fact remains that the entire period of performance journey on LTC fell on holidays. The casual leave applied for was Friday. The casual leave applied granted started and ended before commencement of LTC.
While the Rules state that holidays can be prefixed or suffixed to casual leave, such holidays falling during the casual leave shall not be treated as part of casual leave. This shows that even if the individual is onleave on Monday, if the entire journey (departure to return)was performed during the intervening Holidays, then the individual can not be said to have satisfied the condition that LTC was availed during Casual leave.
Therefore, I do not see any infirmity in the PAO/CAO's decision in the case in study.

In this regard, learned readers may rethink as to what would be stand of those learned friends (who feel LTC is permissible in the instant case), if the casual leave was taken for Monday and the Holidays were prefixed) would they allow LTC? (I presume they would answer in negative)
When LTC is performed wholly during Holidays, what difference does it make whether casual leave is suffixed or prefixed.

There may be one exception.

Mr.X applied for one day casual leave on Fri day. The outward journey is performed on Thursday (after office hours, say at2230 hours). At 2130 hrs (on Thursday) Govt declares Holiday (cause -immaterial) for Friday. The individual completes the journey on Sunday.

Are LTC and leave encashment admissible?
(My answer is "yes". Because, casual leave once granted shall not be altered and the leave debited shall remain so.)

With regards,
Badri

badri mannargudi
16-01-2010, 06:34 PM
My dear friends,

While one must approach a subject with compassion, one can not afford to lose sight of Rules at the same time.

In the instant case, the fact remains that the entire period of performance journey on LTC fell on holidays. The casual leave applied for was Friday. The casual leave applied granted started and ended before commencement of LTC.
While the Rules state that holidays can be prefixed or suffixed to casual leave, such holidays falling during the casual leave shall not be treated as part of casual leave. This shows that even if the individual is onleave on Monday, if the entire journey (departure to return)was performed during the intervening Holidays, then the individual can not be said to have satisfied the condition that LTC was availed during Casual leave.
Therefore, I do not see any infirmity in the PAO/CAO's decision in the case in study.

In this regard, learned readers may rethink as to what would be stand of those learned friends (who feel LTC is permissible in the instant case), if the casual leave was taken for Monday and the Holidays were prefixed) would they allow LTC? (I presume they would answer in negative)
When LTC is performed wholly during Holidays, what difference does it make whether casual leave is suffixed or prefixed.

Mr.X applied for one day casual leave on Fri day. The outward journey is performed on Thursday (after office hours, say at2230 hours). On Thursday at 2130 hrs Govt declares Holiday (cause -immaterial) for Friday. The individual completes the journey on Sunday.

Are LTC and leave encashment available?
(My answer is "yes". Because, casual leave once granted shall not be altered and the leave debited shall remain so.)

With regards,
Badri

aneesh
17-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Thanks to all the members for their reply and I feel Sri Badriji is right

With regards

prasannakumar
19-01-2010, 07:59 PM
My dear friends,

Mr.X applied for one day casual leave on Fri day. The outward journey is performed on Thursday (after office hours, say at2230 hours). On Thursday at 2130 hrs Govt declares Holiday (cause -immaterial) for Friday. The individual completes the journey on Sunday.

Are LTC and leave encashment available?

With regards,
Badri
In the instant case, we donot wheter mr. aneesh's collegue has submitted the application stating
1- No. of days leave availed: one day (friday with permission to avail gen holidays on saturday and sunday)
2. Reason for leave: performing LTC.
If such is the case he is eligible for the benefit as all these days will count for LTC

badri mannargudi
20-01-2010, 01:53 PM
In the instant case, we donot wheter mr. aneesh's collegue has submitted the application stating
1- No. of days leave availed: one day (friday with permission to avail gen holidays on saturday and sunday)
2. Reason for leave: performing LTC.
If such is the case he is eligible for the benefit as all these days will count for LTC

Whether the individual had said it so in the Casual Leave Application or not, the fact remains that there is no nexus between the journey performed and the leave applied for. One can not argue that the time taken for preparing to go on LTC ( assuming that such argument is made) should be treated as part of casual leave applied for/granted.

In some cases (read, departments), casual leave is permitted even on Holidays. In these departments (Telephone, Railways, Defence, Posts etc.,) ) employees are called upon to perform duties on Holidays, too. In such cases, one may apply for casual leave on such holidays and in those cases, LTC shall be admissible.

With regards,
Badri