PDA

View Full Version : Printer Port

R K Rao
22-12-2009, 09:40 PM
A Friend of mine has just purchased a new PC. The marking on the mother board is as under :

MBD FSB 1333 AS ROCK
DDR 2 800 G-31 M-VS
DUAL CHANNEL

What is surprising is that he has been told that in order to have a printer connected, a printer Card is required to be installed. Is it so? Does not a new CPU come with Printer connection facility ?

Secondly, I found a connector on the mother bord with two rows of pins with 13 and 12 adjacent and the letters LPT1 is prited near it. When I took a printer connector cord from an old PC and inserted it in the new PC, it fit correctly.

Since a hard disk is not yet fitted on the PC yet, I could not test the connection.

Can any friend please tell me if the supplier (a local asssembler) is taking my friend for a ride?

I have no other info. about the PC.

Thanks to all.

RKR

ram
27-12-2009, 05:39 PM
If LPT1 (parallel port interface ) is available as mentioned by you, then a text printer could be connected provided a printer driver (printer software) is installed. Ask for a driver relevant to the printer to be connected and install once the hard drive of your friend's PC is fitted. By the way if your friend's PC has a USB port, almost all the present day printers could be connected

R K Rao
28-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Mr. Ram,

Thank you for the kind reply.

Rgds

RKR